Please help

JillH

Forums Novice
I'm mortified beyond words. I've been under the impression that Shelties did well in cold climates because they were bred to endure harsh winters in the Scottish Isles and their double coats insulated them against the cold and rain.

About 6 days ago, I left my Sheltie, Sheldon outside on a cold, sunny day. It was about 32 degrees out. I ran some errands that took 4 hour's. I got back home and was met by a man from animal control. My neighbors had called. I was told I need to have a doghouse outside if he is to be outside. I've only let him out long enough to do his business since then, no more than 3 or 4 minutes. I had a talk with my 17 year old son, too, explaining that we have to keep our dog's trips outside short during the cold weather and told him about the warning from animal control.

Well, this morning I let Sheldon outside right before I left for work and woke my son up for school and told him to bring him in in TWO minutes. I had him get up and go in the kitchen and wait on him so he wouldn't forget. My son leaves for school an hour after I do. When I come back home, animal control is there again. My son forgot to bring Sheldon inside-even though he was in the kitchen waiting to bring him in! He told me he forgot-he has been anxious lately and his mind is constantly going.
I explained what had happened to the officer but was told I'd have to go to court.

On both occasions, my dog seemed fine when I brought him in. He wasn't shaking or shivering and he was as energetic and bouncy as always.

This kind of thing has never happened before and I'm so upset that I have misunderstood the physical nature of the breed and that my neighbors obviously think badly of me and think I'm negligent. I called the breeder of my dog, who lives in Cleveland and asked her about Shelties' tolerance to cold weather. She said she lets hher dogs play in the snow for two or three hours.
I could use some imputation from you guys. Not only could I be facing a large fine, but jail time. I'm mostly embarrassed, though.
 
I'm so sorry your going through this. At 32degrees I doubt your boy would feel cold but Shelties are such social dogs they prefer our company generally (from my experience). Personally i would never leave my dogs outside for any length of time regardless of the weather unless I'm with them and I would never go out and leave them outside but that's just my opinion. Too many things could go wrong from them getting out of the yard to someone snatching them or just barking at everything.
 
I agree with Piper's mom, too many things go wrong. I only let Beau out alone if I can watch him from my kitchen window and only then because I have a very small yard where I can see him at all times and I have Beau proofed (several times over) all gates, and gardens. And I limit it to about 15 minutes. My previous sheltie was happy to just watch the birds and lie on our deck when out alone so I learned the hard way.

Here is my saga:
when Beau was about 9 months old, I let him out to play and was watching him from my kitchen window. He started to go nuts chasing birds and a squirrel. Now my yard was fenced, but unbeknown to me one area of wood fencing (behind a short bush) was weak. Beau broke through the fence, ran into the street and was hit by a car. He had a severe degloving injury that took months to heal and thousands of dollars and we were lucky he wasn't killed. I learned from that. We have triple (yes triple) fenced all areas of our property, have all gates doubled with stakes that drop down and a tie holding them together. And I still watch him every minute. I also limit his time out and try and bring him in before he gets over threshold and work with him outside on a daily basis. I learned.
So I think we all make mistakes that we learn from. Don't be embarrassed, just learn and go on. You obviously care for Sheldon. I would gather all the information I could that backs up that Sheldon was not truly in danger and have a concrete plan going forward to present.

Good luck.
 
Animal Control coming to your house has nothing to do with what breed of dog you have- it's related to the laws of the state where you live. I heard over the holidays that many of the northern states (where it gets COLD) have laws about how long a dog can be outside, what kind of shelter is acceptable, etc......
you need to find out the laws applicable to dogs where you live...........
 
Personally, I don't think most dogs would be happy left out alone for several hours, no matter the breed or the weather. My dog is not outside alone ever, unless I can keep an eye her. Like others have said, too many things can go wrong.
 
I agree with Randi ... I would never leave a dog of any breed out alone when I wasn't home. I've heard and had experience with too many horror stories, whether it's widlife or someone stealing the dog. A puppy I bred was stolen last year from her fenced back yard when she was left out for only 15 minutes. In the world we live in, it just isn't safe to leave a dog unattended.

As for Shelties, they are cold-hearty, and 32 is probably fine for him to be out for a while in good weather, but again only if you are there and not for an extended period of time without protection.

I hope you can resolve your legal issues. At least animal control didn't take your dog, which is not uncommon in these cases. Perhaps if you explain your inexperience to the judge you'll just get a fine.
 
Take pictures to court to show judge Sheldon is fine. That his feet are fine. Do you have an overhang on porch to provide any shelter? Take a picture. Take your son to apologize :) Put in a dog door or get a small dog house before you go. Hopefully showing no harm was done and you have taken steps will get you off with a warning, although in the revenue enhancement mentality these days you probably won't get off scot free.

Then, if it was me, I would find out who is all up in my business and calling animal control on me.
 
You have three issues here. The first is the well-being of the Sheltie. As hardy as they are, each is different, and each has different cold tolerance. Most Shelties haven't lived on the Shetland Isles for generations. Many come from a long line of show stock that hasn't ever been unprotected in harsh weather for very long. That said, our Beckon would happily stay out in freezing weather, and once Bitsy happily curled up outside the dog door for several hours while the show completely buried her! I suspect Sheldon, being young and healthy, was just fine. Still, a doggloo is always a good idea! Our dogs have a dog door into a fenced yard, and there are several placed where they can shelter from wind and rain.

The second issue is the law. I recommend you bone up on the animal welfare laws in your area. If you violated them (and I suspect you did), respectfully and remorsefully explain in court what happened (and trusting your teenage son to bring the dog in isn't a decent excuse) and what you are planning to do in the future. Pay any fine cheerfully.

The third issue is the neighbors' opinion. If it were me, I'd approach each neighbor with cookies and a heartfelt apology for having worried them. I'd also thank them for being so vigilant (no matter how you really feel, even if you think they're meddlesome busybodies), and tell them that you plan never to let this happen in the future. You might consider hauling your son along, since he was responsible and failed to live up to his responsibility.

I know people who have had their dogs forcibly removed for neglect. I know you didn't actually endanger Sheldon, but I also suspect you want to do everything possible to prevent a recurrence.
P.S. Buy the doggloo.
 
You have three issues here. The first is the well-being of the Sheltie. As hardy as they are, each is different, and each has different cold tolerance. Most Shelties haven't lived on the Shetland Isles for generations. Many come from a long line of show stock that hasn't ever been unprotected in harsh weather for very long. That said, our Beckon would happily stay out in freezing weather, and once Bitsy happily curled up outside the dog door for several hours while the show completely buried her! I suspect Sheldon, being young and healthy, was just fine. Still, a doggloo is always a good idea! Our dogs have a dog door into a fenced yard, and there are several placed where they can shelter from wind and rain.

The second issue is the law. I recommend you bone up on the animal welfare laws in your area. If you violated them (and I suspect you did), respectfully and remorsefully explain in court what happened (and trusting your teenage son to bring the dog in isn't a decent excuse) and what you are planning to do in the future. Pay any fine cheerfully.

The third issue is the neighbors' opinion. If it were me, I'd approach each neighbor with cookies and a heartfelt apology for having worried them. I'd also thank them for being so vigilant (no matter how you really feel, even if you think they're meddlesome busybodies), and tell them that you plan never to let this happen in the future. You might consider hauling your son along, since he was responsible and failed to live up to his responsibility.

I know people who have had their dogs forcibly removed for neglect. I know you didn't actually endanger Sheldon, but I also suspect you want to do everything possible to prevent a recurrence.
P.S. Buy the doggloo.

I could not agree more with every point that Chris made. She is spot on each of her recommendations!

I must say that I NEVER allow my dogs outside alone for any reason - summer or winter. Call me paranoid!

There was a golden retriever here in Michigan that froze to death from the cold weather. The dog was left out overnight.
With the bitterly cold temps out now I am sure the person who called was genuinely concerned about your shelties well being.
I second the vote... Buy the doggloo for insurance...
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Pam
Our previous dog was a Samoyed. They're bred for life at the absolute top of the world (think Siberia being a summer resort for this type of dog). For the majority of his life we had a doggie door. Mercutio loved, loved, loved cold weather and snow - his favorite thing to do was sit in the snow, preferably on a bush. And even he would only stay outside for 20 minutes at a time. He'd come in for a half-hour or so, and then go back out, but he wouldn't stay out for hours at a time. And again, this is breed that was bred for far colder temperatures than Shelties.
 
Back
Top