Proden Plaque Off safety question

Roberta

Forums Regular
I have 3 shelties who get a lot of plaque buildup despite (almost) daily brushing. I've tried giving them bones and antlers, but my boys aren't chewers so after a brief sniff these go untouched.

I have searched this forum and found a few threads about a product called Proden Plaque Off which got really good reviews. I was all set to place an order for it on Amazon when I read in one of the reviews that it contained arsenic. Here is a cut and paste about it from the Amazon review:
- - - -

[FONT=lucida console, sans-serif]"About Arsenic (information supplied by ProDen's creator, Dr. Sune Wikner)[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console, sans-serif]It is important to understand that arsenic exists everywhere in nature. There are two forms of arsenic: inorganic and organic. The former may be toxic; the latter is not. In the US the upper safe consumption limit is 2 µg arsenic per kg body weight per day. In Europe the figure is 15. Note that those figures relate to inorganic arsenic. Several studies report that the algae that used in ProDen PlaqueOff contains exclusively organic arsenic (7 µg per scoop).[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida console, sans-serif]Moreover, ProDen contains alginates which are poorly absorbed from the intestine into the bloodstream. Instead they are excreted via feces. The alginates found in PlaqueOff have another well known property. They bind heavy metals like Strontium, Arsenic, Lead and Cadmium. Then the heavy metals leave the body via feces with the alginates and do not enter the blood. In fact, people living near nuclear plants in the US are recommended to eat algae if there is a risk for strontium leaking from the plant.[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida console, sans-serif]Therefore, there is no risk for arsenic poisoning for pets taking ProDen PlaqueOff."[/FONT]

- - - -
I was hesitant about buying it after seeing it had arsenic, but then I'm not a chemist and maybe organic arsenic is not a problem. I would be interested in knowing if anyone's sheltie had a bad reaction to Plaque Off, and getting other opinions. Thanks!

Roberta
 
I've been using this product on my four Shelties for more than a year with great results. I've read the information on the ingredients and the disclaimer regarding arsenic and I am not concerned about the level contained in this product. I think as long as you feed it at the suggested level for your dog's weight, it should be fine.

Frankly, I'd rather my dogs eat a tiny bit of organic arsenic (which is also contained in many other things) than have to undergo anesthesia every few years to have their teeth cleaned. I would not, however, give it to to a pregnant bitch or any dog with thyroid issues (as the label states).
 
I can not remember where I got mine but I got 3 lbs bag organic human grade of Ascophyllum nodosum for couple $. Same Norwegian seaweed just not patented label Plague off.:biggrin2:
 
I'm using it on vet recommendation. I have had no problems with it at all. Liam is going in for a dental next week so I will see how it works after that.
 
Proden Plaque Off

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered Plaque Off and should get it in a few days. I realize it takes a while for it to work, so I'll post an update in a month or so to let you know how it is working for my 3 boys. Thanks again for the responses.
 
Thanks, I have been using a product called Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygiene Solution which was recommended by my vet. You put a capful of this liquid in their water each day. It has not seemed to do much good. I have my fingers crossed that the Plaque Off will give better results.
 
I used Oxyfresh too for a few years. I tried it in their water which didn't do anything and then sprayed it in their mouth, which seemed to be more effective. But it didn't do the job the ProDen does. I think you'll be happy with it. Keep us posted! :smile2:
 
Frankly, I'd rather my dogs eat a tiny bit of organic arsenic (which is also contained in many other things) than have to undergo anesthesia every few years to have their teeth cleaned. I would not, however, give it to to a pregnant bitch or any dog with thyroid issues (as the label states).

Does anyone have any recommendations for dogs with thyroid issues?

Dani
 
I used Oxyfresh too for a few years. I tried it in their water which didn't do anything and then sprayed it in their mouth, which seemed to be more effective. But it didn't do the job the ProDen does. I think you'll be happy with it. Keep us posted! :smile2:

I tried to spray something recent ¨seen on TV¨ my BIL swears by and my dogs avoided me for a week:ick had to go through all the intro brush cleaning all over again...
On a human note I know people who were able to avoid using thyroid meds by supplementing iodine from sea weeds. So if dog is on thyroid meds I would be checking with a vet and checking those T numbers often.
 
Back
Top