Puppy Agility Equipment

take4roll10

Moderator
At a sheltie fundraiser, I introduced my puppy to some agility equipment. She really seemed to enjoy it. I don't plan on doing competition or anything, but I am looking for something for her to play with and burn some energy.

I found these two on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VB0DKK
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0T8MQ8D2VXVBCPW1QZQ3

anyone have any experience with these? It looks like they are only for outdoor use. The weave poles have to be pushed into the ground.

I was hoping for something not too expensive and that I can use in my basement during the winter months.
 
I don't remember how old your dog is but, it isn't recommended that run your dog through most of the agility equipment until they are at least 1.5 years old due to their growth plates still being soft. The stress of jumping, weaving, and even working the contact obstacles at a low, training, height can damage the growth plates.

That doesn't mean there aren't things you can do with her now though.

One incredibly safe, and actually important, skill you can teach her is that she has hind legs and where they are in relation to the rest of her body. This knowledge is important to avoid knocking jumps and not falling off the contact obstacles. You can train this with a simple extension ladder.

Lay the ladder on the ground and walk her through the rungs. The goal is to have her go through the ladder's rungs without (1) jumping out of the ladder, (2) missing an opening between rungs, and (3) not step on the rungs.

Another thing you can begin teaching is Targeting. This is usually a technique used for training a 2 On 2 Off (2O2O) contact end. All you need is the lid from a margarine container and some treats. Start by baiting the lid with a treat and telling her "Target". When she get the treat from the lid, praise her. After she has the idea of touching the lid to the word "Target", remove the treat (keep it in your hand) and say "Target"; reward for touching the target. Once she gets that, make it more difficult by starting to move away from the Target and 'sending' her to it by saying "Target". Praise and reward this. You can do this like a game and have a blast teaching it.

Next - start to teach a 2O2O contact. All you need is a 1x6 or 1x8 plank from the hardware store. Walk her across the plank (like you did the ladder). First goal, walk across with all 4 paws on the plank. Second goal, stopping at the end with two paws on the floor and two on the plank, Third goal, add your targeting training by placing the target at the end of the plank.

Last but not least, get her use to things that move under her. Using the same plank you are working with for 2O2O, put a small piece of PVC pipe (2" diameter) just off center so one end is on the ground and the other up in the air. Repeat your exercises you used for 2O2O training with the moving plank.

Of course, it goes without saying that you should also work on Recall, Sit-Stay, Down-Stay, Stand-Stay, and Focus exercises.

All of these are safe for the puppy and will give her a head start when you actually start training.

Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
If you are just doing it for fun, I think either of these would be fine.

However, I'm not sure how old your puppy is and there are certain obstacles that puppies shouldn't do (or do too much of) until their bones have fully developed.

Hopefully someone else knows the specific rule. I think it's around 6 mos. or so.
 
I've been "ignored"! :lol:

But seriously... looking at the timestamps of our posts, corbinam, we posted at pretty much the same time.
 
she's 4.5 months. Thanks! I will definitely try those exercises until she gets older. I think I'll get her a tunnel in the mean time

She is a bit of a jumper though. Always running, leaping and jumping off the stairs. And always trying to jump and grab things off the coffee table.
 
Tunnels are fun; she'll enjoy that. :)

Trust me, you won't be able to stop her from jumping completely; Edan use to constantly jump on and off the bed and couch, still does actually. The best you can do is keep it to a minimum.
 
The main things to keep her off of for now are the weave poles and jumps. Those you need to wait for her growth plates to close.
Tunnels,, chutes, and booja boards are okay for now. As is a table on the ground.
Of the two kits you posted, I would recommend the first one, as it is going to give you more to use than the second will. Be careful with the tunnel, and make sure not to leave it out in the weather, or allow the pup to just play with it when you're not supervising, as these tunnels are not made of the sturdiest material, and will rip.
You can also make a booja board to use right now. It'll get your pup used to moving objects, in case you do get bitten by the bug and decide you want to get enrolled in a class down the road which will involve things like teeters :)
 
You can also make a booja board to use right now. It'll get your pup used to moving objects, in case you do get bitten by the bug and decide you want to get enrolled in a class down the road which will involve things like teeters :)

The buja board is what I was thinking of when I recommended she place a 2" diameter piece of PVC under a 1x8 plank. I figured reusing something she already purchased, the plank, would be a little cheaper than purchasing a square of plywood and building a "ball box" under it for the wobble. (Building a Buja Board instructions: http://www.mfrye.com/agilityeq/buja.html)

There are other options where a moving board is concerned: http://www.affordableagility.com/rockerboard.htm
 
thanks for all the tips!

There's an agility school in my neighborhood, but their classes are only on weekdays and I work too late :(
 
Back
Top