Puppy Food?

Tamara

Forums Regular
I'm just curious what everyone here feeds their puppies. I'm using purina puppy chow for Harvey, but he doesn't seem to like it, or eat it eagerly. I had some Science Diet small bites that he seemed to like more, but I'm not sure which would be better for him. Opinions?
 
I suggest you "Search" the post "What Food?". It is a fairly new post, and most of us can't agree what to feed our shelties. There are all sorts of viewpoints and, of course, we all want to do what's best for them. Maybe you will find a diet that will please you and your puppy!! Be sure to check your brand at: rateitall.com/t-353-dog-food-brands.aspx. And read the reviews--many of the ratings are by people who have never used that brand. Good luck!!!
 
I wouldn't recommend either Purina or SD, personally. Way too much grains, low quality ingredients, etc.

My honest suggestion would be raw. But if you are looking for a commercial food then there are decent options out there. I'd try Horizon Legacy Puppy, Orijen Puppy, Canidae All Life Stages, Innova Puppy, or Wellness Puppy. Mix in some Evangers 100% meat, Wellness 95% meat, or Innova 95% meat and you've got yourself a great diet!

Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com for some great information on how to choose a quality commerial food.
 
As Crystal said, there are opinions galore, many of it contradictory! It will make your eyes spin! For example, some people say Wellness is great, others say it gives them diarrhea.

I'm currently rethinking my pup's foods as well. I can't do raw - I just don't have the energy to do it properly.

So rather than focus on a particular brand to start, I plan to research multiple "non-partisan" websites as to what "content" makes a good dog food. For instance, you'll hear about too much protein, too little. Too much grain, shouldn't have corn, etc. etc. etc. I want to try to gather objective evidence before I find a brand.

Then I'll go shopping for a brand that fits the criteria that I think is right

Then I'll read the reviews and make a final selection.

btw - my pups are both on Pro Plan Chicken & Rice and bot doing great frankly (nice coats, no allergies, firm stools, etc)! The only reason why I'm thinking of switching is that I reread the ingredients and found corn meal fairly high up there, which I keep hearing is not great (though I don't quite know why YET!)

What you don't want to do is keep swapping foods - it's hard on their digestive system. If you are going to swap, make sure it's a gradual switch (mix the two foods together, gradually increasing the volume of new). You should plan on 5 to 7 days for switchover.

Hope this helps!
 
Back
Top