Puppy scratching and diarrhea

Merry

Forums Regular
He's here!:biggrin2: I finally got my beautiful little baby boy home. He's 7,5 weeks old and weighs little less than 2,5kg (he didn't really stay too long on the scale today, I'll try again tomorrow). He's a tri colored pup called Luka. I'm sorry I can't share photos, I'm not any public photo sharing site. All I can do is tell you he's a darn handsome little man :smile2:

He's been home for 24 hours so it's a very short time for observations, but he seems to be scratching quite a lot. He scratches the region of his eyes and ears and nibbles his legs and torso with his teeth. A couple of times he's been scratching and whining at the same time, like it hurts to scratch his ear (or the region – I'm not sure it's exactly the ear he's aiming for). He does this maybe every five minutes or so, five seconds at a time. He doesn't wake up to scratch. He also lets me put my finger gently in his ear and then leans into it like it feels good to have someone scratching the inside of his ear. (Don't worry! I'm not hurting him by scraping him with my fingernails! I've just done this a couple of times to see whether his ears itch or not, and it seems like they do, at least a bit.) He also rubs his eyes with his paws every now and again. His ears look completely healthy and clean, as does his skin. I know pups can scratch when they're overwhelmed, but I don't think that's it.

Another thing – what is a pup's fur supposed to be like? His fur is so thick it's hard to see the skin, but it feels dry. Not rough or hard, very soft and cuddly, but dry. It also doesn't shine, at all. Is it supposed to?

He Pure Natural Puppy Chicken. He also gets some minced meat and sour milk to make the kibbles more tasty. This is what the breeder also gave him, except that he gave the meat raw and I cook it. He eats okay but very little, maybe 15-20g of kibbles at a time, so I've decided to give him food four or maybe even five times a day, not three, even though that was what the breeder recommended.

His poo varies between soft formed and a soft ”mud cake”. Right now he's pooping every two hours and they're all mud cakes. I made the mistake of giving him a slice of pig's ear today, so that might be the reason for his diarrhea right now. His poo was little soft yesterday at he's breeder's house, also, so it can't be just the journey and stress causing it. Also, when he poos he first gets outs a lot, and then he keeps pushing and pushing, and a few drops come out then. He does this every time, not matter if the poo is formed or not. Sometimes he even rapidly sits like he's trying to sweep his but after the first big poo. Does this mean there's something wrong? He's been wormed x2. And how long can he keep doing these mud cakes before I should call the vet? I really don't want to make any unnecessary vet visits before he gets his shots, but I'm a afraid that a little boy like him might dehydrate fast, especially since he's not drinking very much. I give the kibbles wet right now.

I'm going to ask the breeder about the scratching and whether he's done it for long, but I can't count on his expertise only, because – even though he absolutely loves these pups and did everything he could for them – this is his first litter by his first sheltie.

I'm just a little worried that he might have some sort of an allergy. Or maybe just dry skin? I know it might be good to give him some fish oil, but since he's stomach isn't completely okay as it is I'm afraid to give him anything new.

Pure Natural Puppy:

Chicken (28%), chicken meat meal (22%), white rice, oat, barley, trout, salmon, chicken fat, prairie meal, chicken gravy, beet pulp, minerals, Vitamins, Linseed, Seaweed, cranberry, Stinging Nettle, Mannanoligosaccharides, Fructooligosaccharides, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Psylliun Seed husks, Beta Carotene

It should be a good quality kibble. Right now I'm going to keep with Pure Natural, but if his tummy doesn't improve I might have to switch.

Wow, that was a long message. Sorry!
 
new puppy

Take it easy with the food he is not accustomed to. The pig ear alone could give him a runny poo.

Use a Q-Tip or better still a cotton ball wetted slightly in lotion that contains some Aloe. Rub it gently on the ear lining not allowing any to drip into the canal.

Sounds like he has dry skin. Give him a bath in shampoo with conditioner or you may have to use two separate products. Shampoo with Aloe and a conditioner for softening the skin.

Nervous from being taken from his siblings followed with strange surroundings.

Rubbing after pooping can be worms or irritated poop chute from food that he cannot fully digest properly.

At 7.5 weeks his system is still very young.:wink2:
 
He pooped again, and it was mud, again. He poops every hour to two hours. I'm hoping it's the pig ear, but I'm still going to call the vet in the morning (it's 2 am here right now) and ask for advice. I'm worried about everything from parvo to clostridium difficile. I suffered c. diff a year ago, and I know pups can have it too.

Luka has a good appetite and I managed to give him some water from my hand (for some reason he doesn't like to drink from the bowl). He's energetic, so at least that's good. I'm thinking about giving him only rice and minced meat tomorrow, but I'm not sure if that's wise with a pup so young. I'll ask the vet about that, too.
 
Congratulations on your new little guy! :smile2:

I would definitely take a stool sample into your vet to be checked and also take your pup in for an exam. His itching could be anything... just dry skin, or allergies, or even mites. Best to be on the safe side and get your vet to check him out.

He is still very young and a good quality puppy food, without a lot of treats or anything fatty or heavy would be best for his tiny digestive system to handle.

Trini
 
Welcome to the Sheltie Nation forum, Merry. Congratulations on your new baby Luka. I hope he starts feeling better very soon. I agree with Trini...a vet visit is probably needed.
 
chicken

Just a thot, some sheltie's don't tolerate chicken well, might be a reason for the itching...my 2nd sheltie was itchy when given chicken, I switched to lamb and the itching, flaky skin cleared
 
I called the vet this morning and a nurse told me to give him rice and chicken to calm his stomach. If the diarrhea doesn't go away but Luka stays in good condition, I'm to call again on monday. If Luka starts vomiting I need to call right away. She said that diarrhea isn't as bad as vomiting, because vomiting makes the puppy dehydrate a lot faster. We didn't talk about the scratching, I'm going to wait for a couple of more days to see what's happening with that.

But the good news is, Luka just made a solid poop! He pooped around 2 am last night, and then nothing for 12 hours, and now a solid poop. It still had some yellow mucus in it, but it was formed, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I know bowels produce mucus to protect themselves from something harmfull, so I'm thinking that mucus is just a consequence from the big ear. He has great appetite - when he finished the chicken and rice he tried to eat the bowl - and now he's chewing on a compressed raw hide bone. He doesn't get anything from it, his little puppy teeth just leave tiny dents in it, but he loves to throw it around and play with it. And as far as his energy levels go.. zoom. Zoom, play, zoom, turn, zoom, play.

I'm also giving him inupect forte - I'm not sure if you have it there, but it's a product that helps dogs with diarrhea. Even the vets recommend it here.
http://www.biofarm.fi/tuote/inupekt-forte-2/
I give him water with his food, and he's peeing so much there's no chance he's dehydrated.

If he gets worse I'm definitely taking him to the vet, but for now we're staying home. I asked the vet, and there hasn't been any parvo outbrakes lately, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. And if it was some sort of bacterial infection it should have gotten worse over night, not better, right?
 
I am so glad that Luka is feeling better and that you have talked to your vet. We hope to keep hearing good news about him.
 
Better and better!

Luka's poop, I mean. On saturday it was yellow, soft and very, very mucusy, but today - hard, brown and almost no mucus at all! And yes, I am sure that you wanted to hear the details. I'm absolutely positive.

The scratching was another issue, so we visited the vet today anyway. He gave him Stronghold in case of cheyletiellosis, because Luka had a little dandruff. Apparently the medicine is safe for puppies even as young as he is. He also had dry skin, so I'm adding some oil to his diet. I forgot to ask how much oil I should give, so any suggestions? Luka is 8 weeks old and weigs roughly 2,5kg.

We also have to chance the brand of kibbles the breeder gave us, because they contain too much (32%) protein. I know a lot of you feed Fromm, but I can't get it here. Any other suggestions?
 
Hi Merry and Luka. Welcome to this helpful forum and congrats on your new fur baby!

My puppies had diaerrhoa the first days at home and it could be due to the stress of the first day. Adding that the prizes whe give them, as the cookies and the sticks, doesn't help to their stomachs....

You are taking good care of him....what an afortunate puppy! :smile2:

And he is herding you well, first with the water in you hand, after....whatever he wants!:wink2:
 
Back
Top