Toffee's Mom
Forums Sage
I finally changed my vet after my last interaction with him. He didn't have the best social graces to begin with, was too expensive and too patronizing... But the last straw was the complete and utter lack of respecting MY decision on going with mostly raw feeding in the end, after much soul searching.(Allergies, general tummy issues, personal preferences etc etc.)
I wasn't there to discuss anything nutrition related, I was there to have his paws looked at which he had cut on rocks on the beach. During that visit he actually printed out stuff from the web like the following and insisted that I take it:
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm208365.htm
Now, I don't mind information like this in general, as you may know I generally enjoy a lively debate, but I try to respect others and their opinions!
What got me going was his insistence of sharing his analogy which went something like this: "I was a young man once and I was taking risks with driving sports cars although they could go faster but I have changed, so now I don't take these risks anymore, so I want to tell you to stop taking these risks with your dog's life"
I told him that I needed a vet that was able to support me in my INFORMED decisions and calculated risk taking and he could give me some credit or listen to my opinion. I ensure my dog never gets cooked bones, never gets weight bearing bones, is not a chomper nor food aggressive, is a very slow eater and that I have done lots of research in achieving a good balance and only feed bones marginally. To ME the risk of crappy, processed kibble feeding is higher than an accident with a bone.
I said: " I know too many feed smoked bones sold from the pet store/grocery store...or even bones right off a cooked roast! THOSE make me nervous. Raw, non weight bearing bones don't. Accidents happen, dogs choke on kibble and treats and toys but you don't see the FDA telling us not to use any of those. So that is my risk that I am willing to take now COULD we talk about why I am here today...
So my new Vet which I have gone to since, before I did anything else I came straight out saying, if you have a fundamental problem with raw feeding you need to tell me now...
I can tell he's not a huge fan of it, but he said:"As long as you're okay with it, I am okay with it."
This is NOT to malign any Vets out here, just sharing of a personal story and my preference in what I want to feed my dog, it shouldn't be such a hot debate, just like I don't really understand the hot, emotional responses when I discuss how much I disagree with Caesar Milan or Brad Pattison's outdated way of punitive based training!?
I wasn't there to discuss anything nutrition related, I was there to have his paws looked at which he had cut on rocks on the beach. During that visit he actually printed out stuff from the web like the following and insisted that I take it:
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm208365.htm
Now, I don't mind information like this in general, as you may know I generally enjoy a lively debate, but I try to respect others and their opinions!
What got me going was his insistence of sharing his analogy which went something like this: "I was a young man once and I was taking risks with driving sports cars although they could go faster but I have changed, so now I don't take these risks anymore, so I want to tell you to stop taking these risks with your dog's life"
I told him that I needed a vet that was able to support me in my INFORMED decisions and calculated risk taking and he could give me some credit or listen to my opinion. I ensure my dog never gets cooked bones, never gets weight bearing bones, is not a chomper nor food aggressive, is a very slow eater and that I have done lots of research in achieving a good balance and only feed bones marginally. To ME the risk of crappy, processed kibble feeding is higher than an accident with a bone.
I said: " I know too many feed smoked bones sold from the pet store/grocery store...or even bones right off a cooked roast! THOSE make me nervous. Raw, non weight bearing bones don't. Accidents happen, dogs choke on kibble and treats and toys but you don't see the FDA telling us not to use any of those. So that is my risk that I am willing to take now COULD we talk about why I am here today...
So my new Vet which I have gone to since, before I did anything else I came straight out saying, if you have a fundamental problem with raw feeding you need to tell me now...
I can tell he's not a huge fan of it, but he said:"As long as you're okay with it, I am okay with it."
This is NOT to malign any Vets out here, just sharing of a personal story and my preference in what I want to feed my dog, it shouldn't be such a hot debate, just like I don't really understand the hot, emotional responses when I discuss how much I disagree with Caesar Milan or Brad Pattison's outdated way of punitive based training!?
Last edited:
