Reassure me I'm feeding enough

coopersmom

Forums Enthusiast
Now, on diet try 1000, I'm feeding Randy between 2/3 & 3/4 cup 2X a day of Fromm Whitefish & Potato. We're supplementing with some green beans or broccoli, and some canned, low cal dog food. He is frantic for food, wanting to eat his supper at 3:30 p.m., going back to his bowl in the morning time and again, etc. I will probably settle on 2/3 cup twice a day. He's about 17 inches and 42.6 lbs, and huskey. He'll never be a little guy but we need to lose 4-6 lbs.
 
Now, on diet try 1000, I'm feeding Randy between 2/3 & 3/4 cup 2X a day of Fromm Whitefish & Potato. We're supplementing with some green beans or broccoli, and some canned, low cal dog food. He is frantic for food, wanting to eat his supper at 3:30 p.m., going back to his bowl in the morning time and again, etc. I will probably settle on 2/3 cup twice a day. He's about 17 inches and 42.6 lbs, and huskey. He'll never be a little guy but we need to lose 4-6 lbs.

Does he get any excersise? I ask because our two are on the go from the time they wake till evening.And ours are younger and getting about same amounts as your Randy.

Trapp is 19-1/2 pds and Jasper is 12#. Trapp is not as tall as your Randy.How old is he?

What I have discovered..they are beggers,and can eat 24/7 if you let them,and beg with those sad eyes.
 
If he's dieting it certainly sounds like that should be enough. How much were you feeding him before? I'm not familiar with Fromm but if it's a premium holistic food, so you should be able to feed less. Our pups weigh much less, around 20 lbs, and get 1/4 cup twice a day and that's plenty for them.

I'm wondering if you've tried one of the low calorie or "lite" foods for weight loss. You might be able to feed more using those and keep Randy feeling less hungry. I had good luck with them when Pixie needed to lose weight. Just a thought.
 
I feed Cedar 1/2 cup of Innova EVO twice a day and he does fine. And he is only 19 pounds. He's very very active, so he burns it off. My mom has a Husky/Shepard mix who is on a diet and her vet told her to reduce her food by half, but to add no salt added green beans to make up for the other half of her meal. It is working great and she loves the green beans.
 
I agree with Megansmom and Michele. If your dog is on a diet, they will always act hungry. I found it helpful to supplement with low calorie foods like green beans. They get more actual food, but it isn't bad for them.
 
It sounds like Randy is about the same size as Baxter(18 in-41#) Baxter is on a diet and gets 3/4 cup of reduced fat Wellness Core per day. I divide that in half as he's fed twice a day. I also add a tablespoon of pumpkin or 1/4 cup green beans to each feeding. It was mentioned here a few days ago to be careful with pumpkin as it's is very high in calories but it's worked great for us and he loves it. Baxter's lost 17# since last July. I know wht you mean about always being hungry. Even after all these months on this diet Baxter is still like that.
 
How much to feed

Our Mally was close to 40 pounds. Our vet told us to give less food. Mally is now on 1/2 cup of dry food twice a day. He said that is the correct amount for him. He was correct. Mally did loose weight. Went down to 33 pounds and has stayed there for awhile now. Mally also gets small Mother Hubbard treats, called "Bits", but we try for not too many (he loves these).
 
I feed FROMM and it is a very good holistic food... But I think all feeding instructions on dog foods are a little much for most dogs. I think that you have to use the trial and error rule to see what is right for your dog.
 
Weighed Randy this a.m. Going the wrong way. Not giving up, got to buckle down more. I'm going to stick with 2/3 cup 2X/day with green beans. I can cut back to 1/2 cup 2X a day but I really fear he would begin to eat the house if I cut back to that. We'll see. Thanks for the encouragement.
 
Back
Top