Riley- Mama and Daddy miss you

dskco

Forums Novice
My boyfriend and I just lost our beloved Riley 2 days ago. He was 7 yrs old. We adopted him from a Sheltie rescue at the end of 2007. We had the best 1.5 yrs ever. He was having bad seizures and the meds weren't working. We took him into get an MRI, and found a tumor in his brain. We made the hardest decision - to end his suffering.
Its been so recent, and the choice so sudden. I go through many different emotions from sadness, anger, and acceptance. Being at home is the worse when I don't see his beautiful face. He was a bi-black sheltie. I've been writing out every single memory I have of him, and it's been theraputic. I can't believe I went to work the day after it happened. I was a wreck, crying everywhere. Today is a bit better, but I'm still not the same. I dunno if I'll ever be the same.
He was cremated and will be arriving soon along with his collar and tags. We might keep his ashes or spread them along his favorite hiking trails. We don't even know what to do with his things. They're still lying around the house as if he were coming back to use them.
I was thinking of getting a memorial tattoo for him, but we'll see.
I miss him so much, he was like my kid, and I can't believe he's no longer in my life.
 
I am so sorry for your loss! You did a brave thing by bringing home a rescue but at least you can console yourself that you provided him a wonderful 1.5 years!

When Timber died in May, I didn't know what to do with his things either. I have a housekeeper who comes in twice per week, and she tactfully just brought everything downstairs into the basement so I wouldn't have to.

And I would come home from work and the house would be quiet. That was probably the hardest.

Then when I brought home Bacca in June, I brought all the old toys right back up. Indy and Bacca still play with Timber's toys! It does not make me sad at all!

p.s. my assistant got a tattoo when her dog was hit by a car a few months ago. She has no regrets! But she's 23 and not thinking about future wrinkles yet :sadsmile:
 
thanks

Thanks BarbV, I'm sorry for your loss too. It hasn't even been a full year yet. I'm glad you were able to still find happiness in seeing your other furkids play. I'm a bit nervous about getting another dog for fear of loosing them. Perhaps that fear will go away since owning a dog (especially a sheltie) is very rewarding.

Reading other posts, I just found out about loosing your daughter and Timber. Im sorry all of those things happened to you at once. You are a wonderful person to share your stories with us and helping others feel like we are not alone.
 
Last edited:
Thanks BarbV, I'm sorry for your loss too. It hasn't even been a full year yet. I'm glad you were able to still find happiness in seeing your other furkids play. I'm a bit nervous about getting another dog for fear of loosing them. Perhaps that fear will go away since owning a dog (especially a sheltie) is very rewarding.

Reading other posts, I just found out about loosing your daughter and Timber. Im sorry all of those things happened to you at once. You are a wonderful person to share your stories with us and helping others feel like we are not alone.

Thank you. It's been a tough year - losing both of them so close together - and the anniversary's are approaching fast.

After Timber died, it took me all of 3 days to decide that I had to have another pup. At first, both my son Ryan and I said NO to another Sheltie because we did not want to "replace" Timber. But after a couple of weeks of researching other breeds, it always came back to a Sheltie. There simply was not another breed that we wanted. We were lucky to find a good breeder quickly with pup's available else I think I would have gone mad!

I still call Bacca by Timber's name sometimes. And my stomach shrivels when I do it. It still hurts.

You'll know when it's right for you.
Take care
Barb
 
I'm so sorry for your loss. We haven't lost a sheltie yet but we have a memorial flower bed in the front yard where two of our cats are interred. Tiger passed away almost 5 years ago while we were on vacation. My friend Linda was our pet sitter and she called to say Tiger had missed a jump in the basement and was dead. He was my hubby's cat, and Alan was devastated. We drove back 9 hours through the night because my friend said our other cat, Rocky, was crying and inconsolable. I made a new flower bed and planted a cherry tree, tiger lilies, catnip, pink pussytoes, and tiger violas in the bed that surrounded Tiger's grave. Every time I would bring in a sprig of catnip, I would tell Rocky that it was from Tiger. A little over a year ago we lost Rocky to a long wasting disease that turned out to be cancer. We added a small plaque in the memorial bed when Rocky joined Tiger. Each time, Alan buried a small toy with his beloved kitty boys.

You will decide what to do with Riley's toys in due time. Some people do as Barb did, and adopt another pet to enjoy the toys. Others get small display tables and put photos, tags, and treasured toys under glass in a display table. I find the flower beds comforting, and my husband now has a typical comment after mowing the yard of "Tiger's lillies look good today" or "what is that something pretty growing there for Tiger and Rocky."
 
My heart goes out to you. I know how dear these babies become, even after just a year and a half. That's how long we had our beloved Collie, lassie. I still miss her, but I'd rather have danced than sat that one out. :sadsmile:
 
My heart goes out to you. I know how dear these babies become, even after just a year and a half. That's how long we had our beloved Collie, lassie. I still miss her, but I'd rather have danced than sat that one out. :sadsmile:

Nicely said! :sadsmile:
 
I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our little girl Trinket on Feb. 3rd. She was here to fill our lives with love and companion ship after losing Ariel in September. I can't believe she is gone at only 4 yrs old and we are devestated so we know how you must feel.

Our Fur kids have been an integral part of our lives and being without them creates a massive hole in ones life and heart. We still have her beds and things sitting out and whether that helps or not I don't know. We have pictures and I have a photo gallery on the web as you could see in my posting a few days ago. There never are enough pictures and all my dreams of taking pics of Trinkie in the garden and out on our walks now that I have just retired are gone.

Only you can decide what is right for you but the memories will always be there. We wish you the best.

Trinkies Dad
 
RIP Riley

Please know my heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your husband over the tragic loss of your Riley.:cry: We all know too well what you are going through. When I lost my Jewel, aka Jewlie Poolie,:sadsmile: It took me forever to get over her loss. She was my baby. When I got her ashes back I held them so close and just cried like a baby. But the fact of having her ashes near somehow helped in the healing process, for me. A little over a year later I had to make that difficult dicision to help Tasha over that Bridge. She was loaded with tumors and having difficulties breathing and walking up the few stairs she had to go relieve herself. She was a Great Mommy dog to all and any animal that ever entered our home. even though she was never actually a mommy because she was spayed. She mothered Jewel 3 cats and friends animals when they would visit.:yes: We all look and react differently. Just allow yourself that time to grieve, for Riley. Know that Riley is now out of pain and thanking you for helping him over the Rainbow Bridge where he awaits and watches over you.:sadsmile:
 
Last edited:
Thank You All

I really don’t know what to say but thank you to all of you. These are prob the kindest words I’ve heard over the past few days and I believe its because we’ve all lost our beloved pets at some point. I can’t blame others who don’t know what to say because they don’t know how it feels. It’s been 3 days now, and I find myself crying less everyday, but the hole in my chest is still the same size.

BarbV- That’s so funny that after researching all the other breeds out there for your next dog, you ended up choosing another Sheltie. I don’t blame you. They really are the best.

Granite – I think that flower bed for Tiger is a beautiful idea. Unfortunately we live in an apt, so we can’t make a beautiful memorial for Riley. I did tell my bf about the display table idea. He thought it might be too sad. We’ll see what we do in time.

Chris – You’re right. They do become so close to us even after a short 1.5 yrs. I too am glad that I was able to love him and grieve for him than to have never adopted him at all.

Terdonal – We lost our Riley and Trinket on the same day. That’s crazy, and she was so young. I’m sorry for those losses happening in such a short time. I too feel there are never enough pictures and all the dreams I’ve had for Riley in my life are now gone too.

Elaine2004 – Thanks for your sympathies. I’m not looking forward to the day Riley’s ashes arrive. I think I will be crying my eyes out as I hug them too. I do try to remind myself that he isn’t in pain anymore and that he’s happy and waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. I’ve never heard of the Rainbow Bridge until a few days ago. I was a bit skeptical, but I truly believe it exists now.
 
Back
Top