Rimadyl

Emmasmom

Forums Sage
Has anyone ever given their dogs Rimadyl? I had Emma spayed yesterday and she was given 1/2 tab of 100 mg Rimadyl. However, she does react strongly to medications, even though she is MRD1 norma/normal. She is to get it for three days but given her history of reaction to meds, I am hesitant to.
 
Rimadyl has been called a dangerous drug. I cannot remember why.....

I give Ruckus a couple of Rimadyl a week. He has back problems and it helps him a whole lot. I have not had any issues with him.
 
Thanx for the info. I am reluctant with Emma as the original vet gave her hydromorphon as a pre-anesthesia painkiller and she went heavily sedated. Also, when the new vet went to do the spay yesterday and gave her the meds, her belly, armpit areas and gums went bright red as if she had been exposed to carbon monoxide, when she hadn't. This only lasted for a little while and she was fine. She also has a very mild heart murmur, barely audible, but it would jump to a Grade III and then back to next to nothing and then back up and down. She had the vet stumped. The original vet refused to do the surgery as she was too scared to do it. Before the new vet actually made the incision, she called to talk to me about the heart murmur as I had never actually met her but had dealt with another vet. The vet practice came highly recommended and I had every confidence in them. Just not sure given Emma's history if I should give her the Rimadyl.
 
Has anyone ever given their dogs Rimadyl? I had Emma spayed yesterday and she was given 1/2 tab of 100 mg Rimadyl. However, she does react strongly to medications, even though she is MRD1 norma/normal. She is to get it for three days but given her history of reaction to meds, I am hesitant to.

I have gave Justice rimadryl(carprofen) when he tore his flexor tendon for 3 months straight. He still gets it every now and then. It is in the same drug class as Aspirin, an NSAID. The main issues with it is liver issues, which is rarely an issue short term if blood values were good before surgery(less than 7 days) and stomach ulceration. Some people claim sleepiness. But when you are in pain and the pain stops, you sleep. Things to watch for vomiting,diarrhea, and not eating, stop medications and call your vets. It is my drug of choice to send home after surgery.
 
Thanx for the info. I am reluctant with Emma as the original vet gave her hydromorphon as a pre-anesthesia painkiller and she went heavily sedated.

Hydromorphon is a narcotic painkiller. Sedation is a side effect of all narcortics. Rimadryl is a Non steroid anti inflammatory not expected to cause sedation.
 
Wonder why Rimadyl for after a spay? I have heard to many bad things about that drug.

Rimadryl is a common medication following surgery. It is labeled for post op pain management. As it controls inflammation following surgery and reduces pain in mild to moderate intensity. It is a fine drug if used properly and monitored with long term use. This is true of most drugs.
 
Both my Finish Spitz and Malamute were on Rimadyl for arthritis in the waning years of their life and the drug works great for controlling pain. My Sheltie has also had Rimadyl at times for a short duration (1 week) with no issues.

There is a chance of liver issues with it but over a short term its relatively safe, as Dr. Shelli described.

When my Finkie and Mal were on it long term, we were during blood work quarterly to check for liver issues. All the tests came back clean.
 
My vet prescribed rimadyl after Bailey's spay surgery too. However he said to only give it if she appears to be in pain. Bailey was her normal self, so I never gave it. Bailey was also a puppy when she was spayed. I'm not sure how old Emma is, but puppies do recover faster than adults.
 
Emma will be seven months on the 21st. She certainly doesn't appear to be in pain, so I am not going to give it to her unless I have to. I don't relish a rush trip to the vets with an unwanted reaction. She moving around fine - just had to put the collar on her as she is a licker. Thanx for your input.
 
Back
Top