Rotation Diet

coopersmom

Forums Enthusiast
Anyone here do a rotation diet with their dogs? It would be like feeding dry food for a period of time, then feeding wet food, or perhaps alternating dry/wet each day.
 
Anyone here do a rotation diet with their dogs? It would be like feeding dry food for a period of time, then feeding wet food, or perhaps alternating dry/wet each day.

Not with my Layla -- if I did that, she'd expect something different every meal! :rolleyes2:
 
We dont here either. After trial and error,with Earnhardt, just back 4 months ago,was a chore to get him to eat dry food alone. Now with TOTW,he can't wait to eat. I would not even dare to rotate him.

And with Trapp,I am not messing with a good thing.He is a wonderful eater,not picky at all. The little tid bit of Merricks one time a day,they look forward to it,but definately do not thrive on it.

We are not ones to give treats all the time here,Trapp does have his flossie,which he loves,Earnhardt loves an occasional rawhide. And Mother Hubbard cookie every so often.
 
Nope, I don't mess with their diet, unless I have to.

I do an acceptable level of "spoiling" by SUBU standards - they get their tbsp of Merricks twice per day, but everything in their lives is about consistency, consistency, consistency. They are fed the same time every day. The potty, feeding, medication routine is always the same.

They know what to expect from me, and what I expect from them. If I mixed things up, they would decide one day that "hey, I think it's time for wet food, isn't it?" No thanks!
 
I do a rotational diet with Nature's variety Prairie

I rotate between dry-salmon, vension or lamb and the frozen raw rabbit or vension.
Example 1 bag dry vension
then 2 bags frozen raw rabbit
then 1 bag dry salmon
then 2 bags frozen raw vension
then 1 bags dry lamb
Sometimes I mix together or use can but can with 3 dogs is expensive.
I don't do transitions between form of Food. It was made to be fed that way.

My dogs rarely have diarrhea or digestive upset. Justice is the touchiest. I feed natural treats not to picky on kind. I did find out that Diva has diarrhea if fed Semi moist processed treats the Bil jac, lean treats etc I think it is the preservatives.
 
The do a limited rotation.

I always give kibble in the morning (to keep the stools firm) and I alternate between dental kibble and normal kibble.

In the evenings I tend to do home cooked meals but will try to do a few days of either canned or Vets All Natural (thats a 'complete mix' that is soaked overnight and then added to the dog's meat to ensure an all rounded meal).

When they are dropping coat I will add a special coat formula to their meat, and will give them fish a couple of times a week.

Let me tell you - they get more variety than I do!
 
Since her coat is shiny, lots of energy, and the poop :rolleyes2: is good, I'm afraid to mess with anything. I did buy her a different can of Merrick's but I still stayed in the poultry family. Since she only gets a teaspoon I thought that might give her a little variety. She also gets a few tastes of the evening meal's meat selection.

She also has an occasional bone, her flossy, zukes, and she does like her buddy brand gingerbread men as a treat. (They are the cutest doggy treat.)

She did come into the den the other day licking her lips with white stuff on her upper lip. Apparently hubby was eating a little ice cream. Guess who got a lick or two?
 
I have never rotated my pets diets unless l've had to like others here have said. It's amazing how all dogs have totally different likes and dislikes as far as what they eat or can not eat. Like people, what works for one does not work for the other..:biggrin2:
 
Back
Top