Running Contacts

That is amazing. I would love for Lexi's contacts to end up like this. She has the potential.

In fact, interestingly enough, in our private seminar with Stuart he strongly encouraged us to switch Lexi to running. He said with her size (and speed) it's the way to go. We're still deciding...
 
I really like running contacts, and have a lot of success in training mine to do them. I think for me and my dogs, it works well, and helps us to be more competitive in our height divisions.
 
Those are beautiful running contacts. I'm guessing that Katie has daily access to equipment and probably did at least 2 short sessions a day to get them and is still doing almost as much training to maintain them.
 
I really like running contacts, and have a lot of success in training mine to do them. I think for me and my dogs, it works well, and helps us to be more competitive in our height divisions.

I was told that if I want to be competitive locally, 2o2o is fine, but if I want to be competitive nationally, then running is essential.
 
My trainer believes Bailey might be a good candidate for running contacts. She said she needs to observe her a little more and then she'll let me know. so, for now we are still practicing 2o2o
 
I think you're right about that, but it does depend a lot on the trial, what venue, the part of the country, and who's competing.
We still don't have many of the big dog people competing with running contacts here, but the 4, 8 and 12" dogs are probably 99% running, and 16" is probably 75% running, so it could be tougher in those classes to compete with a 2o2o over a running contact.
Definitely on a national, and international level a running contact is becoming more popular.
I think some of the nicest contacts are on Daisy Peel's Solar. His contacts are just awesome.
 
I think you're right about that, but it does depend a lot on the trial, what venue, the part of the country, and who's competing.
We still don't have many of the big dog people competing with running contacts here, but the 4, 8 and 12" dogs are probably 99% running, and 16" is probably 75% running, so it could be tougher in those classes to compete with a 2o2o over a running contact.
Definitely on a national, and international level a running contact is becoming more popular.
I think some of the nicest contacts are on Daisy Peel's Solar. His contacts are just awesome.

You are right--it's definitely not everywhere yet. But on the international scene I think almost everyone there (who is competitive) has them--from what I've seen.

Solar's are really nice, and Linda Mecklenberg's dog's have nice ones, and so does Rhonda Koeske and her little dog Tack.
 
This is something I am struggling to decide too. Maia has 2o2o right now. We are relatively new to the sport. I think she would do great with running contacts: she would get more speed, and would not loose her motivation I think. However, what I am afraid of is, on a tight course, where lets say I have to do a threadle or a serpentine right off the dog walk, what would happen if I could not get to my position in time? Or if the jump after the dog walk was a 180? From what I've been reading, you have to be fast in order to keep up with the dog at full speed to get to the next position in time to give the dog a clear signal. Hence the dilema...what do I do? Or do I train both? Is that possible? Will it confuse the dog? etc.....I think a running conact would be easier on a course with more straight lines, but on a tight curvy course, I don't know. What do you all think? I'm in pretty good shape and can run, but I don't think I can beat Maia to the end...
 
I'd pick one or the other so that the dog always has clear criteria as to what is expected.
You may consider a running contact is Maia can be easily demotivated, as a 2o2o can be hard for a lower drive/more easily demotivated dog to do and remain quick.
Neither option is for all dogs. I have some that if you try to do a 2o2o with will eventually creep across the contacts, burning up time. When you get to that point, getting the speed back can be hard to get. They can certainly *do* the 2o2o, but why ask for something that causes them to waste a ton of time, and they clearly don't like?
Now, a running contact can be harder, as it takes a lot more training I think to get a solid performance on, and can take more to maintain. There are also handlers that want to be able to get into position at the end of a contact, which a running on a lot of dogs makes it hard to do.
I will say you don't have to be an extremely fast handler to do one. I am not the most atheletic person in the world. I'm still maybe 10lbs overweight. I do have some quick dogs... Especially Ember who will be one of the fastest in my area for 16" I think. If you teach good, independent contacts, and teach things such as go on, get out, turn, and maybe left and right, it can be done (I don't use left and right- too confusing for me to keep up with which direction it is for the dog).
It just depends what works for you and your dog. Is your dog demotivated by a 2o2o? Are you willing to put in the training and upkeep for a solid running? Are you very competitive? Are you someone who likes to be in position after contact obstacles?
Neither contact behavior is 100%. You're going to get misses with either type.
I can tell you now, there are times I don't beat Kai to the end. I haven't beaten Ember from the get go. I don't have to be there to manage, and I can't think of a time that it's burnt me yet for having running as opposed to 2o2o.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top