Sad News

RikyR

Premium Member
Zulu has bladder cancer. Last week after his potty break, we were walking back to the house, he stopped again to lift his leg again. I thought that was odd, and noticed he only did a few drops. Did not see anything in the grass, so I ran my hand under him and found blood. Brought a urine sample to the vet, and they did an ultrasound. Confirmed the blood, found a few white blood cells, no bacteria. There were also cells that looked suspicious, so we did a BRAF test. The ultrasound did not reveal a tumor, but she told me it could be very small. The test results came back yesterday as a positive for cancer. The vet had given me a very detailed paper on bladder cancer. I had prepared myself for bad news, but we are still shocked by this. She has put him on Piroxicam, that seems to help slow down the progression of the cancer. But even with that, we are looking at 6 months to a year. The LSU Vet school has a cancer treatment center for animals. It offers extensive treatments, but at his age I am not currently sure I want to put him through that. Right now, you would never know he is not well. Just being Zulu.
 
Riky, I am so sorry to hear about Zulu. Any cancer is always a terrible diagnosis and hard to process. I hope since it seems you found it early that you can keep him comfortable for a good long while.

Our Ivy had bladder cancer too. We treated her just with meds for quite a while and she never acted like she was sick. That’s the one good thing about this cancer; they don’t seem to feel sick or suffer.

I hope you continue to enjoy your precious boy for a long time. We’re here for you. :hugs
 
Awww Riky I am so sorry….this news brings tears to my eyes I’m so shocked. I’m at a loss for words…
Know that you’re in my thoughts and prayers.
When Piper was diagnosed with cancer I was trying several different medicinal mushrooms, the one that is the most promising at reducing the size of the tumours is the Chaga mushrooms. They are an amazing mushroom that has been shown in studies to actually kill cancer cells. And a combination of Chaga and Spirulina works even better to fight tumours. I make a tea with the Chaga (they’re a hard woody mushroom) and give with every meal to all my dogs.
If you can go keto (carb free) even better as carbs convert to sugar and sugar feeds cancer cells.
I will pray for Zulu…hopefully you’ve caught it early and you can slow the progression of it.
We are all here for you if you have any questions or just need to talk…:hugs:hugs
 
couldn't like your post :cry::(( but shelties do seem to be prone to bladder cancer. my friend's shelties were in a bladder cancer study- her girl was on piroxicam and some other supplements including one with mushrooms- don't know if it's the same as what Ann mentioned. she lived about 2 years after the diagnosis and still competed in agility for some of that time.
 
My vet friend who has collies had one of her boys come down with this. One thing she did (because she could do it herself) is to put in a permanent catheter to drain his bladder. It was in his penis. He still had bladder control, so he didn't leak nonstop. He wore a belly band with an absorbant pad that she changed about 4 times daily. He competed in Nosework up until the end.

I am SO SORRY to hear this news about Zulu. This out of the blue bad type of shock is so hard. I would definitely look into at least the nutritional supplements like the mushrooms. I hope you can buy him lots of good quality time. :hugs
 
couldn't like your post :cry::(( but shelties do seem to be prone to bladder cancer. my friend's shelties were in a bladder cancer study- her girl was on piroxicam and some other supplements including one with mushrooms- don't know if it's the same as what Ann mentioned. she lived about 2 years after the diagnosis and still competed in agility for some of that time.
The vet told me that Shelties were prone to bladder cancer too. Definitely going to look into mushrooms.
 
Awww Riky I am so sorry….this news brings tears to my eyes I’m so shocked. I’m at a loss for words…
Know that you’re in my thoughts and prayers.
When Piper was diagnosed with cancer I was trying several different medicinal mushrooms, the one that is the most promising at reducing the size of the tumours is the Chaga mushrooms. They are an amazing mushroom that has been shown in studies to actually kill cancer cells. And a combination of Chaga and Spirulina works even better to fight tumours. I make a tea with the Chaga (they’re a hard woody mushroom) and give with every meal to all my dogs.
If you can go keto (carb free) even better as carbs convert to sugar and sugar feeds cancer cells.
I will pray for Zulu…hopefully you’ve caught it early and you can slow the progression of it.
We are all here for you if you have any questions or just need to talk…:hugs:hugs
Thanks, I will look into the mushrooms. We did catch it early, so that makes it easier to deal with.
 
Back
Top