salmonella?

Bellesmom

Forums Enthusiast
so today I made the mistake of telling someone that Belle is eating raw chicken.. and got the typical "bones will splinter" as well as raw chicken possibly causing salmonella. Now I have had salmonella from eating chicken and almost left this earth. so I would like to know, have any of you who feed raw chicken ever heard of, or had the experience of a dog coming down with this? or is it a scare tactic?

Belle had raw chicken yesterday, and once again, no problem in digesting or passing it..

thanks in advance.

editing, sorry I was thinking about this while reading another thread, could someone please move it to the raw diet forum? thanks a lot.
 
This is a great question, and I am really curious how it gets answered.

My guess is because the chicken gets digested much faster in a dogs stomach and the acids are different, it is OK. Also the chicken does not get warmed at all, but rather goes straight from the fridge to the dogs mouth. Where salmonella poisoning with people is usually from chicken that hasn't been fully cooked, so the raw chicken has been warmed up.

But then again, they have so many recalls on commercial dog foods for salmonella. Is this because the dogs are getting sick, or because the people are getting sick from handling and therefore ingesting the dogs food?

Great thread!

I am curious on the answers.
 
This is taken from a raw site I frequently visit:

"there is bacteria everywhere. Dogs have an amazing immunity system specifically designed to eat all manner of bacteria. And a healthy raw fed fed dog manages those bacteria without a problem.

E-coli, salmonella, etc are found on raw chicken, but those nasties are also found in your fridge, in your sink, on your floor, in your backyard, in your car, on the footpath, down at the park, and perhaps in your bed! Interestingly, the only cases I have heard of dogs dying from e-coli or salmonella, were dogs fed commercial dog foods.

The most important thing is to wash your hands thoroughly after feeding your dogs, and even after cutting up meat for your own meals. Our digestive systems are not quite as robust as our dogs, so we must protect ourselves.

I use a spray bottle containg white vinegar which I spray about when I need some disinfecting.

I have been feeding my animals a raw for several years, and have yet to have a problem with bacterial infections with my dogs. They are so darn healthy, they are never at the vets! Well, except for when I got them micro-chipped."

Think about it this way, dogs bury bones from meat they are either given or they catch and go back days, weeks, months, later and are just fine. The acid in their stomach is completely different than ours. We have to remember to not think in human terms when we are talking about animals. They are designed to eat raw.
 
Definitely a good question.

I know that dogs always have salmonella and e.coli in their system (a small amount is normal). I wonder if they can handle a higher amount than humans can?
 
thank you for the great answers which ease my mind! I wasn't concerned about catching it myself from the chicken I feed her, but about her getting it from the chicken she eats.. vinegar is in high usage here also as a cleaner and disinfectant..
 
Many of you may have read the recent recall post about Merrick Texas Taffy being recalled due to possible samonella poisoning.

Well I had some of those delivered on Jan 18th. Chandler's recent illness,severe vomiting and diarhea started the evening of the 20th so after talking to my vet yes dogs get samonella poisoning and Chandler had all the classic symptoms and we have come to the conclusion this is what started his downward spiral again. He is still not eating any dog food or for that matter anything that is healthy for him.

I did contact amazon who I purchased the texas Taffy from and they issued a refund. I also contacted Merrick and faxed all 3 of the vet bills I have incurred since this started. They will be putting them in for approval so let's see if they pay them.
 
Dawn I am so sorry.. salmonella is a terrible illness, I ended up in hospital on IV because I lost so much weight so fast from the constant diarrhea after running a 103 temperature for 4 days..

I don't know what Merrick Texas Taffy is.. but it sounds like processed food?

I am wondering about the earlier post that refers to food that is improperly cooked being the cause vs raw which is digested quickly.

I do hope that Chandler is feeling better, and eating again soon.
 
Dawn I am so sorry.. salmonella is a terrible illness, I ended up in hospital on IV because I lost so much weight so fast from the constant diarrhea after running a 103 temperature for 4 days..

I don't know what Merrick Texas Taffy is.. but it sounds like processed food?

I am wondering about the earlier post that refers to food that is improperly cooked being the cause vs raw which is digested quickly.

I do hope that Chandler is feeling better, and eating again soon.

Thanks I appreciate that. Texas Taffy is a dehydrated beef jerky treat.
 
My vet tried the salmonella thing to. I asked him how many confirmed cases he had had in his 30 years of practice, and how many of those were from raw fed dogs. He didn't answer.

Yes, it exists. I don't think healthy dogs, or even moderately unhealthy dogs are overly susceptible to it. They don't recall dog foods because the dogs get sick, they recall it because the humans get sick, thinking processed dog food is somehow salmonella-free. News flash: It's not. All processed foods have bacteria, salmonella included.

I differentiate raw fed dogs from kibble fed dogs in that raw fed dogs are exposed to it more, and they can handle it much easier. If your dog eats the same processed kibble on a daily basis, ANYTHING can throw them off. And it's like living in a bubble, once outside that bubble, you catch everything.

So yes, my dogs eat raw chicken, and pork, and venison, and beef, and kibble, and cheese, and eggs. No skin problems, no digestive problems, clean teeth. A vet's worst nightmare. :smile2:
 
By the same token people who work in ER should be sickiest people on earth, being constantly exposed to all germs and yet most of us rarely get sick.
Humans, wash your hands, plain soap will take care of 95% of all infections.
as for dogs, theoretically they could get sick from salmonella, it all depends on their immune system level. Most dogs on raw food diet receive what they need to stay healthy and have excellent immune response so little bit of germs does not make much difference in their daily life.
 
Back
Top