Sandstorm will be crated again when I am working- 7 hours daily

KarenCurtis

Forums Sage
:mad:
There is nothing else I can do, we are sick of it.
I don't care what anyone thinks of a dog being crated 7 hours a day- I don't want another cell phone destroyed, yes, my husbands CELL PHONE. At least the dog was smart enough not to chew the battery.
Magazines and books ripped up and strewn everywhere.
Poop in the house by the door.
Embarrasing- I though I had a trained dog, and I thought I would get a sheltie because they are smart. ??????????????????????
Sandstorm has PLENTY of chew toys. I guess he is still teething and needs to chew. He is 2 years old.
We don't have the luxury of staying home to watch an apparently untrained dog. We cannot bring him to work with us-I work in a school, my husband works for a company. I have had other dogs, eventually they learn what not to chew, and not to poop in the house.
If it is anxiety due to us leaving every day, fine. I am home at 3:30, the dog knows this. I will crate him- 7 hours a day, monday through friday. It really is a shame.
Thanks for letting me rant.
 
No problems here. I have two that are crated 10 hours a day (soon to be less, took a much more local job!!). If they could behave themselves, they could stay out. They can't, so they don't. Very simple. And really, they sleep all day anyway.
 
I still crate Chloe, and she was 2 years old in September.

They really are still young at that age, and get bored. The crate is the safest place for them when they are not being watched.

I also learned from my BIL who is a fireman, that it is very safe for the dogs to be crated in a visible spot. When there is a fire, dogs run and hide under beds, etc. and they can't be found and die. Dogs in crates can easily be removed from the house, in their crate and remain safe until reunited with their owners. Just a thought!
 
Thanks for your replies- It really helps. I think I am being down on myself- I love my dog so much! I just thought he would grow up! But do I want him to grow up? He is our beloved child since our son moved out.
Sandstorm is very loyal- he stays with us outside, off leash, in the yard. He comes when called- he must still be a baby then. And I feel guilty for crating him.
Maybe he wants his own phone? :lol:
 
Thanks for your replies- It really helps. I think I am being down on myself- I love my dog so much! I just thought he would grow up! But do I want him to grow up? He is our beloved child since our son moved out.
Sandstorm is very loyal- he stays with us outside, off leash, in the yard. He comes when called- he must still be a baby then. And I feel guilty for crating him.
Maybe he wants his own phone? :lol:

He is just a baby in some ways....and gets bored easily.

Never feel guilty about crating him. Dogs feel very secure in their crate. My girls choose to go their for down time. It is their "own" personal space.
 
Dont be so hard on yourself.A crated dog is a safe dog.

The only one that gets crated here (x-pen) is Mia,when we leave. The other 3 are gated in kitchen...even Earnhardt. Whats good for shelties,Earnhardt gets no special treatment.
Ya gotta do,what ya gotta do!
 
Sca is outside most days but I did put him in when we were expecting tornadoes and fierce rain. He was good but the next day was a handful from sleeping so much. I imagine 2-3 days in a row and I would come home to carnage that makes Sandstorm look good :eek2: Oh and at his first birthday he got access to my room since he had been so good, two sets of sheets later he only gets in with me in there, so you are not alone.
 
Cooper is crated for a little over 8 hours each day. He will pee in the house if left out. He is definitely fine with it. He goes in willingly in the morning (of course he gets an apple slice for his efforts) and often goes in there by himself for some alone time later in the evening. He sleeps with me.

Meggie is left out because she is good when left alone, as long as I close my guestroom door!

Don't feel guilty. Better he be safe in the crate than eating something that is dangerous. He'll be fine.
 
Sandstorm here-
my mom says I am a baby. I am humiliated!! Sca, what shud I do. I am a big dog. I get in truble but I am a dog. I need to chew and I have big teeth.
 
Make sure he is very tired before you crate him and you have nothing to feel horrible about leaving him crated. I am sure you do all you can, but you guys have to work and bring home the dog food!
 
Back
Top