Sandstorms positive for Lyme-was I diligent enough with frontline applications?

KarenCurtis

Forums Sage
:cry:

I do feel bad about this, and I want honest answers, even if it hurts. It has been a pattern for us to skip a few doses of frontline during winter months, even this year, with the warm winter. Usually we skip December through February, and maybe we also forgot another month!! :cry: The thinking was that there are no ticks during colder months. I know we are supposed to apply it once a month, so during the months we apply it, sometimes instead of every 30 days, maybe a couple of those months it will be more like every 5 weeks or so. Now we realize, after SS's positive Lyme test, that we must be much more diligent in our every 30 days applications of frontline. At first, we were quick to say it wasn't working all that well, but then had to look at our own behavior.
And a question; we heard that the frontline needs to be given EXACTLY every 30 days. So with this scare, we are hoping that when we do this, the product will work and this will make a difference- any thoughts?
 
While Frontline is 'of some value' against ticks, it is nowhere near 100%. Nothing is, though the Preventic is somewhat better.
We make it very clear to clients, "If your dog is infested with fleas on Frontline, we have to figure out why. But don't call and say, 'Your Frontline didn't work, I found a tick on my dog.'"

Lyme disease can not be prevented by tick control.
Period.

In addition, as I understand it Sandstorm simply tested positive with no symptoms. Whether this can be defined as 'he has Lyme disease' is arguable.

So, seriously, don't even think about beating yourself up about any of this. For those in heavy Lyme endemic areas, having a dog test positive for Lyme is a matter of 'when', not 'if'. -Dr.Mac
 
While Frontline is 'of some value' against ticks, it is nowhere near 100%. Nothing is, though the Preventic is somewhat better.
We make it very clear to clients, "If your dog is infested with fleas on Frontline, we have to figure out why. But don't call and say, 'Your Frontline didn't work, I found a tick on my dog.'"

Lyme disease can not be prevented by tick control.
Period.

In addition, as I understand it Sandstorm simply tested positive with no symptoms. Whether this can be defined as 'he has Lyme disease' is arguable.

So, seriously, don't even think about beating yourself up about any of this. For those in heavy Lyme endemic areas, having a dog test positive for Lyme is a matter of 'when', not 'if'. -Dr.Mac

Thank you! I appreciate it. We also walk in tick infested wooded trails, it's the only way Sandstorm can get off-leash time. I guess we should just have fun and try not to worry!
 
So, seriously, don't even think about beating yourself up about any of this. For those in heavy Lyme endemic areas, having a dog test positive for Lyme is a matter of 'when', not 'if'. -Dr.Mac

Pretty much exactly how I feel, as well.

I really don't know many dogs in this eare that haven't tested positive for Lyme Disease.
 
If we got the preventic collar, we couldn't therefore use the frontline then. I am wondering if using the collar for prime tick season would be best, and then using the frontline the rest of the year.
 
We are diligent about applying Greyson's frontline, but he still managed to get a deer tick last fall. It happens, don't blame yourself! You are a great dog mom!!
 
If we got the preventic collar, we couldn't therefore use the frontline then. I am wondering if using the collar for prime tick season would be best, and then using the frontline the rest of the year.

You can use both together or you can get Certifect which is frontline and amitraz in the same product.
 
I agree with it is not a matter of if but a matter of when. We always apply the Frontline however I am still pulling ticks off of Shelby. 3 in the past week. Granted they are dead but they definitely were embedded into her. We tried one other preventative med once and that was the only time I ever found a live fully engorged tick. Put her back on Frontline and so far all ticks have been dead. I check her all the time but with thick black hair and skin they are easily missed. She could have one on her butt and I would never know it. I know it would be a miracle if she doesn't test positive.
 
In addition, as I understand it Sandstorm simply tested positive with no symptoms. Whether this can be defined as 'he has Lyme disease' is arguable.

A vet friend of mine treats even "barely positive, asymptomatic" dogs with a 30 day course. My own vet gave me the option of drugs when one of mine popped positive. I decided to wait and see. She never showed a symptom, and two years later tested negative. This tells me the immune system is doing its job, and while abx might help it, it's ok to let it alone as well.
 
Back
Top