Sanitary Trims.

Smudge

Forums Sage
I always make sure that my dog's poop chutes are pretty well kept up. I always check under their tails when I groom to see when if anything is stuck.

How many people though, give their dog a sanitary trim so when they pee it does not get on the fur? How much do you cut? I am thinking about doing this for both dogs, because every now and again I can smell it. I am thinking this is probably the cause. Especially for Fluffy. Her fur is long and thin. If Smudge gets a running start I sometmes get a taste of the nasty smell that way, too. :rolleyes2:

I cut poop chutes, but I didn't know if cutting a sanitary trim up front was something people normally did or not! :eek2:
 
I trim fur on Justice so he has less urine hang up usually just the end of the sheath not the abdomen. I usually only have to do it 2-3x a year. The hair doesn't grow that fast. Ember and Diva I never have. But then again, I have never done poop chutes except for once on Ember right after I changed her to raw. I just have not had a problem with poop cling ons.
 
I've never had a problem with dingleberries on Fluffy, but I have with Smudge. Which is odd, because Fluffy's fur is a lot longer than his. You would think it would be the other way around.

I might try a trim on both of them. If I mess it up I don't guess it would hurt much. Nobody is hopefully going to be checking their undersides except the vet anyway. :lol:
 
Noah with all his fur does require a underneath rinse off atleast weekly because I can smell him..although I do have a strong sense of smell so I may be a bit over sensitive to it..however now that we have the great shed going on here it doesnt seem like I smell him as much or there is less fur for it to cling onto...The girls Ive never had to trim they always seem clean....

I will say though as my dads dog ages, I did just last month and trimmed ALOT of his fur off underneath him to help keep him cleaner..and you'd never notice unless he was upside down that I trimmed as much as I did..I trimmed a little bit in front of where the pee seemed to stick(on an angle so it followed his tuck) and all the way down to his poop chute. He was also starting to mat under his back legs since he was shedding soo much so thats why I trimmed off soo much.
 
I'm probably going to wait until Friday or Saturday to do it. Fluffy will sit still for me, but Smudge has a thing about spinning on the grooming table. :rolleyes2: I have a grooming arm, but I hate to use it. He doesn't like it.

I can smell it equally bad on both of them. Smudge still squats to pee, but I am wondering how long that is going to last. All the dogs we go to the park with are show dogs. All of the other males are intact and lift their legs to pee and mark things. I wonder how long it will take him to hike his leg up. :rolleyes2:
 
My groomer was trimming Gypsy there but she was getting urine burns and sores around her vulva and inner thighs so I stopped him from doing it. Every time we come in I wipe her with a baby wipe there and also her entire stomach due to her allergic outbreaks. you may want to try that first.
 
I didn't think about that. :dead: Yeah. Maybe I will try the baby wipe first. :lol:

I always buy hypoallergenic/sensitive skin and have no problems with them. I hope this helps. Gypsy just walks right in and sits down and waits for me to grab one. Sometimes it'll slip my mind and a few minutes later i'll go to walk up the hall and she's still waiting there like Mom you forgot to wipe my peepee.:lol:
She's so cute.
 
Smudge - Noah was fixed and never ever lifted his leg and he was over nine when I lost him. Hamish was intact and did.
 
Back
Top