Sanitary Trims.

Both of the shelties here lift thier legs.Jasper just turned 9 months,and he's been doing it for a month now.Trapp started doing it early summer.Both are intact.

Earnhardt was over a year old,before he got things together,Brian was thinking he would never pee proper like.I think it bothered Brian more than anyone.He was so excited the first time he saw Earnie lift his leg..
 
I have to share a funny story about this and my uncle.

He had a Sheltie named Corky, who did lift his leg. One day, a young lady who owned a male dog, asked Uncle Bob how he got Corky to lift his leg to pee. Uncle Bob (who was quite a jokester) told her she had to lift the dog's leg herself to train him to do so. I never heard whether this is what she did or not! He always laughed about this when he told us.
 
I've never noticed an odor from Bailey's "delicate area", but I do keep her clean and trimmed. She has a very VERY small vulva, so she is prone to UTI's. Therefore, I like to keep her as clean as possible. I used to have the vet shave her regularly, but lately, I've just been trimming her fur and she hasn't had an issue. I also clean her with a non-scented baby wipe every night. She hates it. As soon as she hears the baby wipe lid open, she runs for the hills. I've actually been skipping the past few nights because she has been doing a good job of cleaning herself. Plus she has figured out that right after her last potty call, she gets cleaned, so she immediately hides when we get back in the house. I've got to keep the girl guessing and switch up her cleaning time.
 
Both of the shelties here lift thier legs.Jasper just turned 9 months,and he's been doing it for a month now.Trapp started doing it early summer.Both are intact.

Earnhardt was over a year old,before he got things together,Brian was thinking he would never pee proper like.I think it bothered Brian more than anyone.He was so excited the first time he saw Earnie lift his leg..

AH poor Brian. Justice who is intact didn't raise his leg until he was 3 yrs old. That is about time he was in the same house as an in season girl. I guess he finally felt manly enough. He would never dream of doing it in the house but outside he marks everything and a few times even the girls.:mad:
 
I've been debating doing a sanitary trim on Sadie and maybe Ginny too. I never smell either of them but I think since Sadie's paralysis she's been peeing on herself a bit more and her belly looks irritated. The fin fur in that area also tangles easily and often knots too.

I was thinking I'd shave the fur between her legs right down, but haven't put a lot of thought into it...
 
My groomer was trimming Gypsy there but she was getting urine burns and sores around her vulva and inner thighs so I stopped him from doing it.

Sadie looked like she had these types of burns a couple of weeks ago, which is why I was considering a sanitary trim. On second thought though, I think I'd better not trim it right down them.
 
Back
Top