Scared, Normal, or Scared, Too Much?

Thanks all. Took him to the park to watch sons football game. There were 350 people milling about. He did pretty well. Definitely has strong herding drive because he was pretty excited to try and corral the kids practicing. He was good on the leash and I kept his focus on me.

He was super scared of cars but some slow walks and treats and he seems to be ok...I don't want him too ok because I have heard some Shelties chase cars, but I don't want him cowering because some walks are on sidewalks next to busy streets.

Saw an ATV on a hike in the woods and he barked but didn't freak out completely.

He is super trainable and comes full speed on the come command and parks it front and center. Did it this AM while totally intrigued by some squirrels.

One thing I didn't consider is how close to the ground he will be...I take lots and lots of hikes and this guy will get dirty. With my GSD, he is high enough up its dirty paws up only...
 
It sounds like socialization is going along pretty well...good work! :smile2: Yes, Shelties are amazingly trainable and a joy to work with.

Does Teddy Roosevelt do the "sheltie head tilt" when you talk to him...many shelties will tilt their head as if asking "what are you saying?"...it is one of their really cute traits.

Actually, even thought he will be nearer to the ground and possibly get a lot muddier than your GSD did...sheltie coats are pretty easy to clean...let the mud dry and then it can be brushed out. And if you use a spray on conditioner (I mix the dog conditioner with half water) their coats brush out clean even better.

Trini
 
It sounds like socialization is going along pretty well...good work! :smile2: Yes, Shelties are amazingly trainable and a joy to work with.

Does Teddy Roosevelt do the "sheltie head tilt" when you talk to him...many shelties will tilt their head as if asking "what are you saying?"...it is one of their really cute traits.

Actually, even thought he will be nearer to the ground and possibly get a lot muddier than your GSD did...sheltie coats are pretty easy to clean...let the mud dry and then it can be brushed out. And if you use a spray on conditioner (I mix the dog conditioner with half water) their coats brush out clean even better.

Trini

Fantastic tip, thanks.

Made a trip today to the soccer tournament, even better. Lots of treats, slow exposure, and he did great. NO barking at people, and one little woof at a dog. The snow leopard on TV, though - man, that he didn't like.

What is more interesting is our cat - I trained her to come when called, sit, stand up, and turn around - and she does it 85% or so...and she quickly learned that when I am training Teddy I will have treats...I call Teddy, I get a pup and a cat!
 
cut----
Actually, even thought he will be nearer to the ground and possibly get a lot muddier than your GSD did...sheltie coats are pretty easy to clean --cut
The first time Minnie took a extremely walk in mud, I thought 'Oh no, that's the bad by having a "short leg" dog. :gaah (had "leggy" German shepherds the last 30 years).
But no, I dried her a little with a towel before I put her in the car, and she was almost full clean when we got home (but not the cage)

So since then, I no longer think - mud Oh no - but now "never mind"
She dry - I brush - and she is like new :lol:
 
Actually, even thought he will be nearer to the ground and possibly get a lot muddier than your GSD did...sheltie coats are pretty easy to clean...let the mud dry and then it can be brushed out. And if you use a spray on conditioner (I mix the dog conditioner with half water) their coats brush out clean even better.

Heaps easier to clean than other dogs - and they don't get so stinky when wet either. I'm almost always on dirt trails and bush tracks with my dogs. The mud brushes off really easily when dry. But until it dries I have to keep mine away from the couch - which they consider their personal hand towel! When your pup gets much older, you may want to trim down the fur at the back of his legs in winter (using toothed scissors). It's this area that tends to drag in the mud the most, but it'll be a few years before he needs it. Come back when you're ready and we can advise you on trimming the area so it doesn't look weird.

As a herding dog, shelties are bred to stand back and assess situations, esp new situations. It's an instinct that served them well when watching the farm or the flock, anything new, any change needed to be judged for it's threat or action required. Other breeds, like hunting or sporting breeds, were bred to just jump right in - retrieve the game, flush out prey or vermin, pull sleds - instant reactions.

Also, a but extra on socialisation. This is the socialisation check list I give to my students. It's by Dr Sophia Yin http://drsophiayin.com/images/uploads/ce/Socialization_Checklist.pdf
 
Fantastic tip, thanks.

Made a trip today to the soccer tournament, even better. Lots of treats, slow exposure, and he did great. NO barking at people, and one little woof at a dog. The snow leopard on TV, though - man, that he didn't like.

What is more interesting is our cat - I trained her to come when called, sit, stand up, and turn around - and she does it 85% or so...and she quickly learned that when I am training Teddy I will have treats...I call Teddy, I get a pup and a cat!

Teddy is one smart little lad not to like that snow leopard who might consider Teddy to be a nice warm dinner! :no:

That is too funny about your cat and the training treats...food does have amazing powers.

BTW In case what I wrote was misleading, just want to clarify an earlier suggestion I made about spraying a sheltie coat with conditioner to make it easier to keep clean ...don't spray them when they are muddy as it only wets the mud and makes it harder to get out. I spray mine during their weekly grooming...just a light misting that I then brush into their coats.

Trini
 
Back
Top