Searching for lost sheltie

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbinam

Moderator
(Mods, I didn't put this under "Lost Shelties" because that seemed to be lost sheltie info only---feel free to move).

I am heading out in a little bit to go help look for the lost sheltie posted above. I have spoken with her owner (has only had her a few months) and her breeder.

Her breeder says that she loved dogs and kids.

My question is this...should I bring Lexi (my dog)? I've heard some people say no, it doesn't help, but some people say yes, it does. What do you think?
 
I read on a website that a person couldn't catch their sheltie it was in panic mode but brought a very friendly, tail wagging dog and the runaway came over and got caught. Good luck hope you find and catch the dog. Somebody also got a tracking dog and another put the dogs crate out. If you know a general area you can bait a cage they use for trapping and hope it goes in. These are ways lost dogs were caught that I read about on the Internet. Never did it myself.
 
ive heard where if they see another sheltie...especially if they are used to being around dogs it may lure them in to be able to be caught...if all else fails try the tried and tested trap baited with KFC...works more times than not...
 
Sending good luck from SW Florida and I think taking Lexi is a good idea, especially since shelties gravitate to their own breed. Keep us posted.
 
I'm back home now...no sightings since 10:30 am this morning. We were out there by 11, but saw nothing. I think the pup has found a cool, shady place and is hunkering down during the day (90 degrees out).

Unfortunately, the area where she was sighted is a HUGE neighborhood right on a ravine. I walked the ravine for a few hours, but saw nothing. It's a perfect place for a scared sheltie to hide (shade and water).

At this point, I think she will only be caught by trap. From what I've heard, she was very skittish to begin with...and she has now been 3 days out in the wild.

The hard part is knowing where to put the traps. As I said, the ravine goes on for miles, and she was seen running through a neighborhood (towards the ravine). Also, the traps will have to be checked every few hours since there is a high likelihood that other animals will be caught (cats, racoons, etc...)

So here is what has been done:

--Fliers all over the neighborhoods within 5 miles (they say REWARD)
--Posters put up at all intersections (laminated with recent picture)
--Talked to neighbors where the dog was sighted, and also mailmen and children in the area
--Walked miles of ravine where the dog is likely hiding
--Walked 2 shelties near the area where the dog was sighted
--Contacted sheltie rescue in the area
--Contacted humane society about trap (waiting to hear how to get it, etc...)
--The owners' urine was spread around the house where the dog was seen this morning (I know it sounds gross, but several people have said this worked...and they did it last night and that's where they saw the dog this morning)
--The dogs' hair was spread in the area as a "familiar scent"

I was hoping to be able to find someone with a dog who could track the scent (I remember this worked for Stacey) but I don't know of anyone around here. I left a message for one of the training clubs to see if they had any ideas.

I think the owner is out putting up more fliers, and going door to door in the area (I haven't spoken to her since I left a few hours ago).

This is incredibly heartbreaking...please, everyone, hug your dogs closely tonight. I came home and cried and held my dogs. :(
 
Thanks for the update Ashley, that is so wonderful that you were able to help with the search. What an emotional time this is for everyone involved. I hope and pray that the pup will come out of hiding in the cool evening and make it back home.
 
I was reading on pet detective that they set up wildlife cameras by the traps to see if the lost dog had been by. If you see the dog use calming signals such as kneeling down, turning sideways and pretend to be foraging for food (you have food you can throw on the ground) and not looking at the dog. One lady caught her dog by lying on the ground and pretending to cry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top