Shelby has a UTI

Shelby's mom

Forums Enthusiast
Had to take Shelby to the ER vet this morning.

she woke me up early this morning which is very unusual for her. She never wakes us up. She rushed out the door to go pee, and then tried to pee several more times. So I took her out on a leash so I could grab a urine sample. And it was a few drops of bloody urine.

So off to the ER we go. And we still can’t go inside due to COVID even though we are vaccinated. Vet checked her urine and it came back positive for UTI. Has her on antibiotics and a pain pill if she needs it.

i feel bad for her, she keeps acting like she has to pee, over and over again. And she did pee a few times in the house. I know she can’t help it. She is now finally resting on top of the AC vent. She did not settle down all day. She just kept pacing and crying because she “had to pee”. Hopefully the antibiotic is working and she will be better in a day or two.

she has never had this before. And being she is 11 years old I was (still am) quite anxious. I gave her a good peri trim and have been cleaning her up. Fortunately my husband can work from home tomorrow.

Any suggestions from people who have been through this?
 
I’ve had numerous girls with UTIs, one who had recurring ones. They get Clavamox for them which usually gives them relief after the first or second dose. My three who are prone to infections get Dogzymes Cran Tri C as a preventative for them and it really helps. It’s a powder you add to their food daily, from Nature’s Farmacy, Amazon or Chewy.

I hope Shelby feels better soon. She should improve quickly on the antibiotic.
 
I’ve had numerous girls with UTIs, one who had recurring ones. They get Clavamox for them which usually gives them relief after the first or second dose. My three who are prone to infections get Dogzymes Cran Tri C as a preventative for them and it really helps. It’s a powder you add to their food daily, from Nature’s Farmacy, Amazon or Chewy.

I hope Shelby feels better soon. She should improve quickly on the antibiotic.

Thank you very much. I just took her out now after about 3 hours of her resting. Earlier she was crying to go out every few minutes. And she only peed once and came right in. When I cleaned her I didn’t see any blood. All big improvements from earlier. She is on that same antibiotic you mentioned. So hoping it is helping. And hopefully we can all get a full night sleep.
 
Oh gosh poor Shelby. It can be so painful to have a UTI! Glad you caught it early. Two of mine (once when we were on vacation) in the past had a UTI uncaught that went into the kidneys. Luckily the second time I knew the symptoms immediately (they did not pee frequently which you would think they would!) and insisted on antibiotics while we were waiting for the urine sample to come back from the lab. And I was right and glad I hadn't waited any longer to start the antibiotic.
 
Had to take Shelby to the ER vet this morning.

she woke me up early this morning which is very unusual for her. She never wakes us up. She rushed out the door to go pee, and then tried to pee several more times. So I took her out on a leash so I could grab a urine sample. And it was a few drops of bloody urine.

So off to the ER we go. And we still can’t go inside due to COVID even though we are vaccinated. Vet checked her urine and it came back positive for UTI. Has her on antibiotics and a pain pill if she needs it.

i feel bad for her, she keeps acting like she has to pee, over and over again. And she did pee a few times in the house. I know she can’t help it. She is now finally resting on top of the AC vent. She did not settle down all day. She just kept pacing and crying because she “had to pee”. Hopefully the antibiotic is working and she will be better in a day or two.

she has never had this before. And being she is 11 years old I was (still am) quite anxious. I gave her a good peri trim and have been cleaning her up. Fortunately my husband can work from home tomorrow.

Any suggestions from people who have been through this?
My last girl had multiple recurring UTI’s. The antibiotics will start to work quickly and she’ll start feeling better. Not sure if it helped but I bought baby wipes and cleaned her after she had a pee...perhaps at 11 she’s not doing a good enough job?
 
My last girl had multiple recurring UTI’s. The antibiotics will start to work quickly and she’ll start feeling better. Not sure if it helped but I bought baby wipes and cleaned her after she had a pee...perhaps at 11 she’s not doing a good enough job?
I had the same thoughts. I also have baby wipes here that I have been using to clean her when she come in. She made it through the night and seems herself this morning. So fingers crossed it is a good day for her.
 
I had the same thoughts. I also have baby wipes here that I have been using to clean her when she come in. She made it through the night and seems herself this morning. So fingers crossed it is a good day for her.
Glad to hear she’s feeling better! Poor girl...we worry so much when they’re not feeling good!
 
Jocu was my last dog to have a UTI- I had picked my dad up after the holidays and we were heading back south. He said Jo is peeing a lot when we stopped for gas/food/potty breaks. I said- no, he's trying to pee but nothing is coming out....
I called my vet to see if they'd be there when we got in and they were. kept Jocu overnight so they could empty his bladder and keep an eye on him.
My biggest recommendation for any dog with a UTI is make sure it's cultured and the antibiotic works on whatever bacteria is causing the infection.
 
Thank you everyone- Shelby is back to normal tonight. Our vet called me 1st thing this morning when she saw we were at the ER. She wants us to bring Shelby back about 2 weeks after finishing the antibiotics to do a culture just to make sure it is 100% cleared up.

She wasn’t concerned about the peeing in the house and said once we notice the blood is gone then we will see the peeing inside stop and see her get back to normal. And sure enough she peed inside early this morning, no blood and after that she started getting back to normal. No more accidents and actually not even asking to go out (which is normal for her, she usually waits until we take her out). Now completely back to normal.
 
Back
Top