sheltie bottom hair, grooming tips

picklesmom

Forums Novice
I have a 11 month sheltie named pickles. So last month i took pickles to the groomers and i noticed instead of brushing her butt hair that the groomer just shaved her behind instead ,just a bit almost like a corgi butt, most likely cause its the easiest thing to do, her behind gets really bad and tangly. so i decided to buy a grooming table and all the supplies myself to keep her well groomed the way i like and keeping her fluffy is what i like. so i bought detangling spray and sectioned out her hair back there and saturated it so it be easy to brush out, well to be honest it still wasn’t so easy and took a lot of time, it was so thick and even when i took the rake to her behind i could tell it was hurting her so i stopped and decided to just very lightly use a comb through it and call it a day. so i guess my question is should i shave her behind and start from scratch? and also what products do you guys use and method to brushing back there to keep it tangle free? and how often?
 
I’m sorry your groomer shaved her butt completely, definitely not necessary. I’ll do a bit of a trim around the poop chute using an electric trimmer, a bit on the underside of the tail and I take a bit of fur away from the anus while keeping it natural looking. It’s good that you got a grooming table and such, what kind of brushes do you use? I use a Chris Christensen pin brush but any really good quality pin brush will do. I find it easiest to brush their hind quarters while they’re laying on their side...I work on one side at a time doing line brushing. I usually start at the top of the thigh near the spine and I make a line in the fur (all the way to the top of the tail, where the stiffer hairs are), mist the fur with water and brush upwards. Then I go down a bit making a line and mist and brush. I do this until the fur is free of any knots and I will usually go through it a second time with a comb. Then I do the other side and last I’ll line brush the tail. If you do a search on YouTube for line brushing a Sheltie you’ll find many videos explaining it if your unsure.
By the way I love the name Pickles, we also love pictures.....
 
I use Chris Christensen brushes - not cheap by any means, but they don't hurt the dog or hurt the fur if used properly. My boys LOVE 'spa day'! I don't have a table so I just sit on the floor and have them lay down on their side. My FAV CC brush for Brodie who has a lighter coat is a Fusion Oval 20 MM pocket pin brush. For Deacon who has a heavier coat I like the Fusion Oval 27MM. they have brass pins which just seem to glide through the coat. I follow up with a light brushing with a T-brush and then run a butter comb (just a cheap one) through the coat. I have a few slickers but don't use them. It's all personal preference.

On the CC page for Chris Christensen supplies you can search by breed and the Fusion brushes were recommended for shelties. I like how they feel in hand, I have carpal tunnel and they are easy for me to grip, control, don't seem to hurt the dog at all, don't rip out fur but most of all, the dogs like them.

For feet, I use a 'peanut' trimmer - it's light, small, quiet. I typically use blunt scissors for the poop shoot. I haven't mustered the courage to use the peanut back there yet. I do nails with a cordless dremel.
 
I use a Phillips Brush #11 Metal Bristles With Red Cushion that my hairdresser used on me when I had big hair and perms :) Some day I'll break down and get a CC brush.
Also a JW Pet Company GripSoft Slicker Soft Pin Dog Brush, Small. It doesn't hurt like many slickers and although it doesn't last but a few years, at 10 bucks I'm ok with that.
I have a clipper I use around their butts, albeit I don't trim very far from the anal area--like half inch. If I don't, I get more cling ons dropped in my house than an old episode of Star Trek! Combs and rakes seem to hurt, so I go through them with those at the end to see how I did. (now I gotta look up peanut trimmer--never heard of that.)
 
I use Chris Christensen brushes - not cheap by any means, but they don't hurt the dog or hurt the fur if used properly. My boys LOVE 'spa day'! I don't have a table so I just sit on the floor and have them lay down on their side. My FAV CC brush for Brodie who has a lighter coat is a Fusion Oval 20 MM pocket pin brush. For Deacon who has a heavier coat I like the Fusion Oval 27MM. they have brass pins which just seem to glide through the coat. I follow up with a light brushing with a T-brush and then run a butter comb (just a cheap one) through the coat. I have a few slickers but don't use them. It's all personal preference.

On the CC page for Chris Christensen supplies you can search by breed and the Fusion brushes were recommended for shelties. I like how they feel in hand, I have carpal tunnel and they are easy for me to grip, control, don't seem to hurt the dog at all, don't rip out fur but most of all, the dogs like them.

For feet, I use a 'peanut' trimmer - it's light, small, quiet. I typically use blunt scissors for the poop shoot. I haven't mustered the courage to use the peanut back there yet. I do nails with a cordless dremel.
I love my CC pin brush..not sure what series mine is, I bought at a dog show 3 years ago and it’s a bright green. Might be fusion. Also have a CC T pin brush (got on a buy sell site for a ridiculous price of $20, someone had won a basket and had no use). I use the 20 mm...I had bought a 27 mm CC pin a few years ago but found the pins too long. I also love that they don’t scratch the dogs skin or pull on the hair. My breeder told me years ago look for a pin brush that don’t have the ‘heads’ on the pins (picture a straight pin with the head on the end)...these heads yank the fur out making it a very painful experience for the dog, and we don’t want the dog to dislike being brushed!
 
I gave my 6 year old Sheltie a bath today and did a butt trim and thought I’d show you what it looks like after I do it. I use an electric trimmer (just a cheap model) without a blade so I. Do take care not to cut too close, don’t want to burn the skin. I trim fairly close around the anus and the underside of the tail and then just a gradual trim along the underside of the tail on the skirt. Really not noticeable when they walk.
While I have the trimmer out I also do the pads of the feet.
Hope this helps!70C86C8F-58F3-42D4-A5CD-09D6BA28C2B1.jpegCB0BCE0A-C518-423C-81EF-4BEAF5A239B5.jpeg
 
Of course, the technical term for the trim we do is "Poop Chute"! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Mr. Pip got his "poop chute" trimmed for the first time today, and I think it'll probably become a regular occurrence. Dickens didn't have much problem with that area, but I've already had to clean dingleberries off Mr. Pip's backside a couple of times, and I can imagine things will only get worse as his coat grows in. I found a Youtuber who had a good idea for holding the pup while doing the trimming ... many of you may already be familiar with it, but it came as a revelation to me ... of standing the pup up, bringing one arm underneath his body, and with the hand on the same arm holding his tail out of the way while you trim with the other hand. It worked like a charm! The whole process took just a minute, and Mr. Pip was very good the entire time.
 
That’s a great idea! I’d never heard of doing that but it does make sense. All 3 of mine stand relatively quiet while I trim but I’m always moving the tail this way and that to get it out of the way. I just might try this method next time I trim…they’re almost due for a trim soon!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Back
Top