sheltie suddenly = back legs collapsed

tmalta

Forums Novice
One of our family shelties, a 15 pound healthy active 6 year old male, was barking and running around and suddenly he started to cry, he could not stand on his back legs, it happenned in the blink of an eye. He had to visit 3 vets, the 1st one wanted to put him to sleep, his regular vet referred him to another vet. The last vet took x-rays and blood tests, and had a heart test done. Vet said the xrays showed no disk problems or herniation, no broken bones, the heart was healthy. The vet does not know yet what is wrong. Has anyone had this problem or heard of something similar? we have had 6 shelties in the family throughout the years and never had any serious health issues with any of them. We are so sad, and looking for answers and hoping he can recover.
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have no advice. I can only say that I am thinking of you, your family and your pup and hoping you get some answers regarding this problem.
 
I'm so very sorry to hear about your pup! Can you give us a bit more information? How long ago did this happen, and is he still unable to use his back legs? How old is he? I'm assuming your vet visits included bloodwork? It's an outside shot, but did they test him for Lyme disease? How dreadful that three vets couldn't give you a possible cause for this. I hope some of our Forum members can give you some suggestions.
 
I'm so sorry you and your pup are going through this. Hopefully, someone on here can give you some advice. I do hope you get some answers soon and your young guy can find some relief.
 
sheltie can not walk

Anne
He is 6 yrs old. It happened 11 days ago. The vet did blood work and it all came back normal. He is very light weight, only 15/16 pounds. Seems to be a neurological problem. His back legs can not support support him, they tremble. He could not urinate either. not sure if because he could not stand up to do it, or other reason. The vet used a pump to empty his urine. Now, we do it every day, 4 or 5 times a day.
 
Can you give us a bit more information? How long ago did this happen, and is he still unable to use his back legs? How old is he? I'm assuming your vet visits included bloodwork?

Ann, some of that information is in the tmalta's post:

One of our family shelties, a 15 pound healthy active 6 year old male, was barking and running around and suddenly he started to cry, he could not stand on his back legs, it happenned in the blink of an eye. He had to visit 3 vets, the 1st one wanted to put him to sleep, his regular vet referred him to another vet. The last vet took x-rays and blood tests, and had a heart test done. Vet said the xrays showed no disk problems or herniation, no broken bones, the heart was healthy. The vet does not know yet what is wrong.

I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong with your pup but I hope you are able to have it diagnosed and treated.
 
sheltie can not walk-weakness in back legs

Tears are coming down.....I guess I have hope....

Fibrocartilaginous Embolic Myelopathy (FCE) is not the same as another condition that is similar to MS (can not remember name) in adults, correct?

I wanted to mention that when he was a puppy he got poisoned with some kind of poison a neighbor put in the grass/lawn and he apparently ate. When it happened he could not stand up, had diarrea, was so weak. The vet said he was not sure he could save him but he pulled through and recovered. Could that event had affected him neurologically ?
 
Ah poor little guy, he sounds like he has had quite a time. I don't think his previous poisoning is related but I could be wrong.

I think you maybe thinking of Degenerative myelopathy?( It is kind of like MS. No FCE is not the same. Biggest thing with FCE is supportive care, making sure he can pee, no sores. I have seen some recover but it is slow. Some recover to a point. Diagnosis is important. Because there maybe other options if it is something else.

Prayers. {hugs}
 
Back
Top