Should I get Monty castrated??

Darren

Forums Enthusiast
Ok so I need a little advice here as I really can't decide if I should or not. My vet (it's back open, not the one that made a mess of the last incident) mentioned that they are now taking bookings for dogs to get 'fixed'. The current waiting list is about 4 to 5 months and so it will not be for a little while. I wouldn't want him going back in soon anyways after what he has been through but I'm thinking if he is going to get 'done' then I should get him booked in for early next year while he is still young (he's 4yrs old).

I'm really stuck on this and can't decide if I should do it or not. I just wanted to know what you all think, do you think it's worth putting him through it or do you think it's worth just leaving him whole now?

Thank you as always :)

PS here's a worried look for dramatic effect
Monty179.jpg
 
Last edited:
I didn't realize Monty wasn't neutered Darren.
I would have to say no, considering he's 4 and not marking it's really a non issue I'd say. When Piper was a young pup I had no intention of getting him neutered...I felt the risks far outweighed the pro's. However he marked BAD so I had him done at 2 (the longer you can wait the better). Even my vet says that she sees more dogs getting prostate cancer that are neutered than not. Intact males do tend to have more issues with an enlarged prostate around 8 or 9 but that can then be fixed by neutering with no increased risks of cancer.
 
If he’s not exhibiting obnoxious male behaviors and you are 110% sure you can prevent ‘oops litters’ then I would say it’s probably ok to keep him intact. I know some nice intact male dogs and some not so nice ones.

Kip is still intact, but I plan on getting him neutered around 18 months. I got him on a neuter contract from the breeder, but even if that was not the case, I would probably still get him neutered.
 
I opted no on fixing River on both breeder and vet ok. No trouble with him at all and he will be 3 in April. I will keep a close watch on him as he gets older for any problems. He is never out of my sight, and never alone in yard or unleashed. It's a tough decision because I know we all want what is best.
 
Generally, I'm in favor of having males neutered just because of the behavioral tendencies in most who aren't, but I agree with everyone here. As long as Monty isn't marking, doesn't tend to wander, or have any girl doggies to pester, I'd leave him intact. You may change your mind down the road, but at this point I wouldn't want to put him under anesthesia if you don't have to. It's not likely to change his behavior, although it could make him a bit more mellow. But who wants a more mellow Monty LOL?

Just be careful that he isn't around any female dogs who may be in season at any point...on walks, dog parks, etc. You can always change your mind in a year or two and decide he should be done, but I'd avoid unnecessary surgeries until he's had a significant amount of time for his lungs to heal.
 
I bought Fillion on a neuter contract, and the breeder gave me Koko (at age 5.5 yrs) on the condition he would stay intact until she was done either showing him or using him for stud. At 7 yrs old Koko started discharging blood from the penis. Dr was afraid it was cancer, but started an aggressive antibiotics treatment for infection first. Doc suggested he get neutered as soon as the issue cleared up, and breeder was in agreement, so I got them both done at the same time. Fil was 2 then. Benson is intact as I have him under the same agreement with breeder as Koko. He doesn't mark in the house nor is he aggressive so I'm ok with it. I'm basically a "if it aint broke don't fix it" kinda gal, so unless there is a reason to mess with Mother Nature, I say let things be. Plus putting Monty thru any more procedures would be the last thing I would want to do at this point...
 
I'm agreeing with the general trend, Darren, if he's not exhibiting marking behaviors inappropriately or humping your leg (!!!) etc then I would leave it. He isn't likely to be running around town getting girls in trouble. :ROFLMAO: Well, not THAT kind of trouble, anyway. Plus with what he's been through and the damage to his lungs why take a chance. That worried photo really made me laugh, he must have known what you were discussing!
 
Back
Top