Showing Collies vs. Shelties

Aztec

Forums Enthusiast
Has anyone done both?

I am looking to get a dog to show in conformation within the next five years or so, and I was thinking I would go with shelties, but after going to a local show this weekend I am leaning towards collies.

I have always missed the shelties at the other shows I have gone to, and I was surprised at how small the shelties actually are when they fit standard, many of the ones I have seen are oversized, and Aztec is close to three inches oversized and has a much more collie-like appearence.

I thought the collies were stunning...and the shelties, I wouldn't believe I would ever say this in my life time...looked rather prissy.

But I was just wondering if anyone has shown both in the past, and which would be easier. The grooming requirements are about the same for both, showing on tables though I think is harder, but collie is also harder to transport.

Any thoughts?
 
Sorry, I don't know anything about showing. I used to have a friend that breed collies and where AWESOME. They looked much bigger than the Lassie I saw on TV.

And the shelties I am used too, are much bigger than Granite's Ema (Ember's mom), but when I went to a agility trail, some of the shelties there where teeny tiny! I would NOT like a sheltie that small!
 
there are alot of sheltie breeders/handlers on the east coast that do both. they are pretty close grooming although the shelties tend to be done up more than the collies. as far as size wise I have a 16, 14 1/2 and 13 1/2". I like the smaller ones I prefer the girls to be smaller than 15" other wise they tend to look to doggy, and lose that feminine look. Working them on the table is easy you dont have to bend over to get them just right:lol: . I would say if you have tons room and space that do collies. Shelties just take up less room and their crates are smaller!!:smile2:
 
In 4-H I have worked table and floor, and prefer floor everytime. You don't have to pick them up and mess up their hair, and since collies and shelties tend to "free" stack on the floor they are pretty easy to work with.

As of righ now, I would have room for a collie...but if it blooms into a multiple dog hobby, I probably won't have room for more than two.
 
The shelties were small? Around here, they generally aren't. You see all sorts of shelties that must be pushing the top of the standard. In fact, the little ones usually have a harder time competing.
Personally, I like a smaller sheltie better. I'm not fond of great big dogs. The dogs at the edge of 16 often look like they're too much/are overdone. I especially dislike a really tall bitch. To me, it makes them look less feminine.
 
Has anyone done both?


I thought the collies were stunning...and the shelties, I wouldn't believe I would ever say this in my life time...looked rather prissy.

You are brave to say this on SHELTIE forums! :wink2:

Seriously, though, I have to say I love the Sheltie's gait in conformation. I think they've got a fabulous strut that no collie can duplicate.

I also find that when the Sheltie is truly focused on his handler, it has a look of utter devotion. I tend to find the collie's looking a little more aloof and dignified.

But, yes, I'm biased!
 
I don't think even the males looked close to 16 inches. I like the males to look larger,and like they could do what they were originally bred to do - herd. Which I see much more in the pet shelties.

Maybe it is because I love everything about Aztec, and there was a particular tri collie that was like Aztec but bigger...same expressions, same personality, the way he approached dogs, the way he looked at his handler, the way he took bait. He was still young, and probably only 22" - which is only three or four inches taller than Aztec. Even his bark was similar in tone. (Maybe my breeder goofed and gave me an undersized collie:lol:)

And the shelties looked more like shrunken, rather wimpy versions of Aztec. Maybe they just didn't have anyone real great there, because the sheltie nationals are going on right now.

I am definately not forgoing my love of shelties or anything, as I still think they are an absolutely amazing breed (And I love the quirky-ness of the breed, that no other breed has)...I think I will just stick with the ones that go oversized - and you can't do that if you wish to show.
 
The little ones can do what they are bred for just as well as any bigger dog. All of my shelties are 13"-14 5/8". I have several with strong herding drive to them who are perfectly capable of herding ducks and sheep well. The sheep respond to my dogs, who have excellent instinct, regardless of their small stature.
 
I did not attack any individual dog, or say they could not do the job. I just said they do not look the part. I am just as picky as anyone else, I am just picky in apparently the opposite way as far as the sheltie standard goes.

I really doubt that shelties, farther back in time, had the same appearence to show shelties today, people develope a breed to their tastes. The shelties in the show world just seem different. I didn't say different would not work for someone else, I am just saying that for me, I would not be able to have such a small sheltie. I didn't pick the smaller pups in Aztec's litter because I didn't want small, and I didn't realize how small show size really is. Most of the shelties I know are on the larger side. (Some even bigger than Aztec) The way that looks is not something I like. Just as someone might have a color preference (Just as I don't like merles quite as well as the other colors, but some people like merles the best)
 
I have had both, (well one Collie anyway). If you go to my website you can see a photo of him. http://www.elenbahshelties.homestead.com Kim is a Grand Ch now and the winner of one of our Collie Nationals.

Preparation for show?.. I have got to say I could bath and blowdry 4 Shelties in the same time it took me to bath and dry Kim.
Temperament is more aloof or I should say laid back and they are quite happy to sit in the corner and observe everything that is going on, they are not as inquisitive as the shelties I don't think, who, if you stand up to move about they are right there with you.

They may not look as if they are travelling as fast as a sheltie around the ring but a good mover will cover a lot of ground, be prepared to keep up.

Have also got to say that my boy had the most wonderful patience and was great when I had sheltie pups as he would let them do anything to him and it was not uncommon to see 4 or 5, ...5 or 6 week old puppies crawling all over and under him and he enjoyed it....

Alas, he got too heavy for me to lift on and off the grooming table and into the bath or car and I could no longer keep up with him in the ring so he is now living with a very good friend of mine and he still enjoys an occasional outing into the ring. He is 8 now.

I love my shelties, but I also loved my Collie who was with me for 5 years.
I now have also added a Papillon (that's about my speed in the ring now. LOL!)to my clan and she gets on exceptionally well with my 5 Shelties... Shelties are a great little dog, they are so adaptable, they just seem to fit in with whatever you want to do and adjust accordingly. :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top