showyness

The third is called "piebald". Piebald dogs are the ones that have white and color interspersed all over the body. Extreme piebald is seen in Dalmatians. There are dogs who are called "color headed whites" who are actually piebald. The difference is that a correct color headed white is exactly that; white body, colored head, maybe one or two small body spots. Piebald dogs will have a colored body with big splashes of white, sometimes pushing them over the 50% white mark. Those are not true color headed whites. I would also assume that an otherwise colored dog with a white body spot carries the piebald gene. They might ALSO be white factored, though.

Interesting, Ember must have the piebald gene. She has a huge white spot on her rump. She is also white factored. Her mom was NWF and her sire WF. I was thinking it was from the WFing but it could be from a seperate gene?

She is spayed and was never bred so it doesn't matter. :smile2: No other dogs in her dam line with it that I know of. This picture shows the spot pretty well.:smile2: Funny thing is I get so many comments of that spot. People love it and the black one right next to it. I don't have the heart to tell them it is incorrect.
 
Last edited:
Very pretty Bi-blue, you need 2 more though, a blue merle, and a bi-black. Then your color charts will be complete :)
 
This page has some nice examples:
http://www.norcalshelties.org/SheltieColors/whitemarkings.html#anchor_182

I
The other kind of white Sheltie is the homozygous white, or "double-merle", or "double-dilute". These dogs do not have colored heads (or have limited coloring on the head), and their coloration is caused by a "double-dose" (one from each parent) of the merle gene. They usually have vision and hearing problems, in addition to being unacceptable in the AKC conformation ring.

Here is a German site that has some classic photos of homozygous white Shelties.
http://www.chw-shelties-germany.com/doublemerle.html

I love the double -merle they are very beautiful... its too bad that they end up with vision and hearing issues...
 
Back
Top