Spinning dog fur into yarn

Piper's mom

Moderator
Has anyone ever spun dog fur into yarn? I have a niece who is willing to spin Piper and Finnie's brushed out fur into yarn but I wanted to know if anyone had any tips. I am currently saving it and maybe in the new year I'll get her to try. I just watched a video on washing and carding it (still not really sure what carding means) but looked not too hard...
I'm hoping to get it all ready for her so all she has to do is spin it.
It's supposed to be 80% warmer than wool!
 
Lisa - I do not know anyone, I have only read about it.

I have a friend who gets all Minnie's wool (and it is really a lot)
she makes owls out of the wool - which she
puts on driftwood that she finds at the beach
View attachment 16781
Those are adorable Hanne!
It doesn't look too complicated and fortunately my niece know how to spin, don't think there's much difference between spinning wool and dog fur it's just the preparation that differs. With fur you need to separate the soft undercoat from the rougher guard hairs and of course washing it well! I did find this site that's very informative for those interested https://www.craftmehappy.com/2019/12/preparing-and-spinning-dog-hair.html.
Seeing as how Piper is so much darker than Finnie I may try to keep their fur separated...plus this way I have mementos from both dogs.
I won't be getting it to her at least until things get better here (she does work at a hospital) so I have lots of time to collect.
 
I have a friend who does, and she spun a bunch of Layla's for me. Dog hair sweaters are warmer than wool -- a Mt. Everest climber wore one many years ago.
That's what I've read, it being warmer. I think many are turned off thinking it'll smell like a wet dog when wet. I liked the explanation I read...wool when wet doesn't smell like a wet sheep:yes:!
 
I bought a book years ago...... Knitting with dog hair- better a sweater from a dog you know and love than from a sheep you'll never meet.
I admit I loved the title. It does explain the whole process but it was a little involved for me....
especially since there are internet sites where you can send the fur and they send back yarn.....
 
I bought a book years ago...... Knitting with dog hair- better a sweater from a dog you know and love than from a sheep you'll never meet.
I admit I loved the title. It does explain the whole process but it was a little involved for me....
especially since there are internet sites where you can send the fur and they send back yarn.....
Didn't know that! Love the title! Lol
 
Back
Top