Simba is 3 years old now and we have been training for competition obedience for just over 2 years. His heelwork is so so good and he is so enthusiastic in the ring but when it comes to stays its like this switch goes in his brain. I get anxious because I know he is anxious so it turns into a never ending cycle of anxiety between both myself and Simba.
We have been stuck competing at a beginners level and all because of broken stays.
I feel the way stays are thought at our class just doesn't work for us. I went through the basics at the beginning to teach him, take a step away and reward, take a step away pause go back and reward etc. We then hit this point however where once he knows we are going to do stays I can't get him to lie down anymore. Tonight for instance he broke a sit stay I put him back and took 2 steps back my trainer said to walk further back I said no he broke it again I got flustered and frustrated so just pulled him out altogether because I didn't want him feeding of my frustration.
I feel like I am at the point where I feel like my beautiful dog with the most amazing heel work and recall would be better of just quitting obedience completely because I just can't teach him that sitting or lying a few meters away from me for 1-2 minutes is nothing to worry about. I don't want him to feel stressed all for a rosette or a ribbon. Any advice or tips? Should I keep going or just quit altogether and concentrate on my younger dog who has good stays but isn't quiet as clean or enthusiastic in the other exercises?
(Simba absolutely loves his time in the ring other then stays and his barking and jumping around in between exercises never fails to bring a smile to my face
)
We have been stuck competing at a beginners level and all because of broken stays.
I feel the way stays are thought at our class just doesn't work for us. I went through the basics at the beginning to teach him, take a step away and reward, take a step away pause go back and reward etc. We then hit this point however where once he knows we are going to do stays I can't get him to lie down anymore. Tonight for instance he broke a sit stay I put him back and took 2 steps back my trainer said to walk further back I said no he broke it again I got flustered and frustrated so just pulled him out altogether because I didn't want him feeding of my frustration.
I feel like I am at the point where I feel like my beautiful dog with the most amazing heel work and recall would be better of just quitting obedience completely because I just can't teach him that sitting or lying a few meters away from me for 1-2 minutes is nothing to worry about. I don't want him to feel stressed all for a rosette or a ribbon. Any advice or tips? Should I keep going or just quit altogether and concentrate on my younger dog who has good stays but isn't quiet as clean or enthusiastic in the other exercises?
(Simba absolutely loves his time in the ring other then stays and his barking and jumping around in between exercises never fails to bring a smile to my face