Steps to fight Ticks in the Yard

Intresting article. I'm a little dissapointed in the WSJ though, the article spends more time talking about the history of ticks and who got bitten than actually talking about the number of solutions for tick control.

I did a bit of research on this a while back because ticks FREAK ME THE HECK OUT! I know i'm a guy and they shouldn't but there is something about the little blood suckers that just weirds me out.

Anyhow let me add to the information provided in the article:

There are two types of ticks. There are the hard ticks (the ones we are most familiar with) these ticks get onto people/pets by "questing". Then there are soft ticks these ticks are likely to be found in animal nests/burrows.

Keeping your pets away from nests/burrows will lessen the likely hood they encounter any soft ticks so we'll focus on the hard ticks for now.

Questing is when a tick sits on a blade of grass, a leaf, or a twig, with front-most legs extended. Ticks' legs can detect carbon dioxide from the respiration of a passing animal or person, as well as body heat and movement. If a victim gets close enough and lingers long enough, the tick just crawls on.

There was a picture of a questing tick in the WSJ article.

High grass, flower beds, wooded areas with downed trees, leaf piles. These are all prime locations for ticks to quest. Removing downed branches and twigs from your property, placing cedar chips in the flower beds keeping your grass cut. These are all things which can help minimize tick encroachment on your yard.

For the flower bed to be safe I would add the cedar chips then sprinkle some food grade diatomaceious earth over the flowers. This will kill any existing ticks/nymphs which are already "questing" on the flowers. It'll take a few dry days but as long as you use food grade DE there is no enviornmental impact and the stuff is completely safe for humans/animals once it's settled.

A good rule of thumb is that the neater your yard appears, the less likely it is to be infested with ticks. Ticks like to live in overgrown weeds, leaf litter and decaying wood, so it's good to clean up any such areas in your yard.

If you discover an infestation, it's a good idea to treat your home, your property and your pet at the same time. However, treating your entire lawn with a pesticide may do more harm than good. Ticks generally live in tall grass, weeds and shrubs, so they don't spend much time in mown grass. If you're treating your property with a pesticide, focus on shrubs and overgrown areas you can't reach with a lawn mower.

I know some people are reluctant to use pestacides, so again I'll reccomend food grade DE, as well as some of the natural tick repellants available on the market. The trick with the DE is that you need to apply the stuff when you know you've got 2-3 good sunny days. Once it's wet it still works but the coverage is lessened.
 
Okay...
Since i'm in the country all of the time now, I'm definitely calling the co-ops and seeing how much a bag of DE is for the yard.

I was sitting on my mom's couch and a TICK crawled up my leg.

The boys brought one home, I put it in alcohol but it crawled away! I'm thinking this may have been the one.

Mosquitos are terrible too right now. I went out to feed the feral cats and I got six bites in a matter of minutes. The nature's defense doesn't seem to be doing too much for the fleas. :( So unfortunately, I'm going to have to try k9 or frontline.

Bugs. Suck.

trying DE as soon as I can. I hope it works for ya'll!
 
This one site I was just reading says you can actually put it in their food (it also kills tapeworms). This one woman uses it to dust feral kittens and also gives it with food to kill off parasites.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

That website you posted is a pretty good sumation of the information I've read about DE.

The only concern with the dust that I can find seems to be related to long term exposure to high quantites of dust. So applying the DE with a mask would be a good idea. After it's down it seems unlikely it would be possible for anyone to be breathing in high quantities of the dust for extended periods of time unless immediately after application a huge gust of wind came.
 
I think I've been to that website before! I currently feed them DE in their food daily and was putting DE out in the yard (mixed with some water and sprayed because I'm a klutz and will inevitably breathe the whole bag in - the water evaporates fast so the DE is dry again and turns the grass white) but then I stopped coz I thought it would hurt their eyes when they rubbed their face on the grass.
 
It says to take care to not get it in their eyes, but apparently them rolling around doesn't seem like it causes too many problems.

Which is great to hear!
 
I really have to try remember to pick up some DE. I really want to try it out in my yard.

Thanks for sharing the article!
Danielle
 
Nematodes are a great way to get rid of ticks in a yard. You spray them on and they migrate around killing ticks and other pests. :yes:
 
Back
Top