Still waiting for a puppy

Judyg

Forums Enthusiast
I sure have a long story here. I originally was supposed to get a puppy that was from a little due at the beginning of the year. Only one puppy was born and the breeder kept her. She is a blue merle, which is one of the two colors I'm interested in, but it didn't work out. He had another litter due but again this one turned out to only have 1 puppy again a sable male.

I'm still looking now. I really have my heart set on a female bi blue or blue merle. I know that breeders cannot say for sure what they are going to get when they breed for blue's and I understand that. It just seems like I'm going to have to wait a long time for this elusive puppy.
 
I'm sorry. I was hoping to hear a + story for you. Sounds like you aren't the only one this week with bad news.
 
I know how you feel. I'm looking for a blue merle too, but a boy. It's hard when you get your hopes up and then it doesn't work out.

But our puppies are out there and they'll find their ways home :hugs
 
My dilemma is this: do I wait for with this breeder or get my deposit back and look around? (he just did another breeding and will know in a week if it took) This would mean a late summer or early fall puppy for us and he has promised me a bi blue or blue merle no matter if it is a show or pet quality pup or do we get our deposit back and start looking?

I'm so sad that this didn't work out, but that's life. Fall would actually be better for us since we do like to travel during the summer to get away from the heat and unless someone could watch the baby we would not have been going away.

I think we will wait to see if this breeding took and then decide what to do, but I'm open to any suggestions.
 
I traveled with Shay when he was 4-1/2 months and it was hideous. I was stumbling around a bear-riddled forest trying to get him to pee in the middle of the night because he was still getting up once. No pups later than Jan. 1 ever again!

Maybe see if the breeding took? Maybe continue looking around? I know how tough it is in CA finding a sheltie. I was looking in Oregon and Arizona. That available sheltie FB page doesn't have a lot of West Coast people but it's starting to expand.

Hard to give up pick of the litter though.
 
Both my current dogs came from show breeders and I didn't have much trouble finding the gender and color I wanted when I was ready for a puppy. Also, I never put down a deposit for either dog. My approach has been to cultivate relationships with several breeders who all know each other, breed AOAC and will refer me to another breeder if they don't have what I'm looking for themselves.
 
I feel your pain - found out Thursday that neither of the two planned litters were going to happen. I agree that giving up pick of the litter would be hard. Hopefully the puppy you're meant to have will find its way to you, when it's meant to be...
 
We waited 3 years and through several litters for our foundation westie bitch. My Terv was another wait. Four litters to be, no bitch for me. Finally we got lucky and Rhiannon entered our lives. In both cases they were both worth the wait.
Being on the other end, I hated disappointing people and would call friends to see if they had anything available that would fit the bill. Usually a breeder can palpate for pups at 4 weeks post breeding. It's a small window of opportunity and you need to have experienced hands. Hopefully, your wait will not be in vain. Chin up.
 
I sit here and read these two threads about people waiting for puppies from responsible breeders and it makes me sad, it also is a huge reality..Responsible Breeders are breeding less and less to the point of few and far between, large breeders are becoming fewer and fewer, and people who have been breeding for eons are getting out of it do to restriction after restriction placed upon them...what does this mean for pet families that are looking for their next companion? You are left either waiting a really long time, or you are forced to go with a breed you dont want, or to the less reputable breeder. Just not a good situation that we have put ourselves into..
 
Or you are pushed to find a rescue and face a life of zero genetic knowledge or say.

I love my rescues but I have had less than choice genetics with each one. Their souls are wonderful, their bodies are not what I would have chosen willingly.
 
Back
Top