Sting

Sharon

Forums Sage
Ashley Loved the video of Bentley working away from you. It is nice when all your hard work starts paying off. Yeah Bentley!!!!!!! Sting my man last night in class was brilliant.We run Excellent courses in class and he is a very green dog but his work last night blew me away.He nailed very UGLY entries to the weaves and one piece still has be grinning.It was a jump to the A- frame and to the left side tunnel and the girl that has been working him in class sent him over the jump hung back told him frame and left tunnel and he took it.He knows his lefts and rights.:biggrin2:
 
Oh wow. I'm still teaching Tully 'out' means run to the side my hand is pointing to. How hard is it to teach directions, boy I get mixed up with left and right myself.
 
So proud of my boy today. Goregeous run in Novice JWW snd he NQed because knocked bars but other than that it was goregeous run and he worked away from Erin. He needs one more Novice Standard leg to move into (Pergatory) Open.He won the class and he actaully had competition. There were 13 dogs in th class.I am so glad it was inside a horse arena because it poured out.:biggrin2:
 
Way to go Sting!!! He sounds absolutely wonderful Sharon. Did you video tape any of the runs?? I'd love to see him in action.

When you say he knows his 'left and rights' do you actually mean that you taught him 'left' and 'right' directionals? I'm starting to teach Maia a left and right, but I've named them differently. I'm curious as to how you taught it. I've seen three ways of teaching it: 1. tug with her and then spin her to one direction and name it etc. 2. use a target stick and lead her into a spin and name it and 3. sit behind her, with her between my legs, and tap her in one direction, when she looks that way, mark it, treat it etc. I'm using the tug method with her. She tugs hard, so she holds on and I can spin her. How did you do it with Sting? Not many people around here teach the left and right directionals. Not sure why.
 
Way to go Sting!!! He sounds absolutely wonderful Sharon. Did you video tape any of the runs?? I'd love to see him in action.

When you say he knows his 'left and rights' do you actually mean that you taught him 'left' and 'right' directionals? I'm starting to teach Maia a left and right, but I've named them differently. I'm curious as to how you taught it. I've seen three ways of teaching it: 1. tug with her and then spin her to one direction and name it etc. 2. use a target stick and lead her into a spin and name it and 3. sit behind her, with her between my legs, and tap her in one direction, when she looks that way, mark it, treat it etc. I'm using the tug method with her. She tugs hard, so she holds on and I can spin her. How did you do it with Sting? Not many people around here teach the left and right directionals. Not sure why.

Yes, I taught him left and right directionals.I did not give it a a name till they new what I was asking . The way I taught it is (remember your right hand is their left and your left hand is their right). I sat down and had Shadow in front of me and took a cookie and put it in front of his nose and lured him in a circle in both directions I did it.Once he got what I was asking and the same thing for Sting I put left or right to the cue.I have done the sit behind the dog or stood and said keft and if the head tilts left I click for the behavior.I do have Stings runs on video.I will try and post .
 
Okay, it's almost summer now. When you're better, don't forget to get video of Shadow running the bases. Will you be teaching Sting that? And how do you (or the other trainers) teach a hard weave entry OR a straight entry?

We've noticed that dogs cant see the pole. A friend suggested using touch to teach them to LOOK for it, especially on straight entries. Good thought, cuz Koji can get in them at angles, just not straight. Crazy dog.

I'm impressed with any dog and person that knows left from right. I can't keep it straight, so I can't do it. I'll just have to use switch, lol. So, see, Sting IS smarter than me....that's for sure. Go Sting! Keep up all the good work. I'm always amazed to hear your stories. I can only hope to be as good one day.
 
Okay, it's almost summer now. When you're better, don't forget to get video of Shadow running the bases. Will you be teaching Sting that? And how do you (or the other trainers) teach a hard weave entry OR a straight entry?

We've noticed that dogs cant see the pole. A friend suggested using touch to teach them to LOOK for it, especially on straight entries. Good thought, cuz Koji can get in them at angles, just not straight. Crazy dog.

I'm impressed with any dog and person that knows left from right. I can't keep it straight, so I can't do it. I'll just have to use switch, lol. So, see, Sting IS smarter than me....that's for sure. Go Sting! Keep up all the good work. I'm always amazed to hear your stories. I can only hope to be as good one day.

I just filmed Shadow running bases. It was very hard as I really need someone to film him while I send him. So this is not the greatest of video and I am going to try and upload it to Youtube.
 
Back
Top