Stinky butt pup! Sign of something wrong?

mikebdub

Forums Enthusiast
My Cali's rear seems to constantly smell horrible.. I know that they aren't supposed to smell like roses but her's.. well.. it is really bad at times :) I have been getting into the habit of keeping her a "chute" trimmed and wiping her down with puppy wipes when she comes in, but it still seems like the smell gets to be a bit much. Our old vet gave us some "butt spray" to use when it got really bad, but the smell of it mixed with her butt really does not make matters any better! I noticed it today especially.. We went and did our evening potty, and then she got a bath with me paying special attention to her trap door.. She smelled wonderfull from head to paw afterwards.. A few hours later we went out for a bedtime potty when she only peed and then I noticed after we came back in and were watching a movie that her butt smelled horrible again! I went and got a puppy wipe and cleaned her up yet again but the smell still seems to be there.. I know that once it gets into the fur its not exactly going to just disappear but I am curious if this could be a indicator or something wrong with her? Her stools are pretty consistant.. They have turned a teeny tiny bit "mushy" I guess you can call it and have turned from brown to a tiny shade of "mustard" like I have heard from other people feeding wellness.. I am currently in the process of switching her to Nutro Ultra Small Breed as she really seemed to like it before we tried the wellness (I really don't know why I switched in the first place) to see if it cleans her poopies up a bit.

Is a smell butt anything I should worry about or do I just need to starting cleaning up after her a bit more? Any suggestions or products that you guys like to use? Thanks!
 
Mike

Does Cali rub her butt on the ground or carpet before or after she poops? :rolleyes2: If she doe that is usually a sign she needs to have her anal glands expressed. It's like little pockets around the butt hole that collects fecal matter. :o This is why it's so odoriferious!! New word huh!:lol: When Kia was doing the butt rub dance the vet just put the glove on with lubricant and that was enough for Kia she expressed her own glands, right there on the vet's table!:uhoh: She's been fine since . keep us updated on little calis problem.
 
Oh, I just love how we share! Everything from odiferous anal glands to favourite chew toys!

Just love being a Sheltie owner....!:rolleyes2:
 
Does Cali rub her butt on the ground or carpet before or after she poops? :rolleyes2: If she doe that is usually a sign she needs to have her anal glands expressed. It's like little pockets around the butt hole that collects fecal matter. :o This is why it's so odoriferious!! New word huh!:lol: When Kia was doing the butt rub dance the vet just put the glove on with lubricant and that was enough for Kia she expressed her own glands, right there on the vet's table!:uhoh: She's been fine since . keep us updated on little calis problem.


You're a little wrong...the glands don't collect fecal matter. They produce a scent, instead...
 
OOPPs

I stand Corrected. My question to you is when they express the glands what is the stuff coming out?? :confused2: It's not just scent.
 
I stand Corrected. My question to you is when they express the glands what is the stuff coming out?? :confused2: It's not just scent.


Impacted stuff! Think about how water gets thicker when it goes bad-or like pus-basically, like that. It starts out as a liquid, but turns to a solid when it can't get expressed, because of the build-up in pressure.

Sometimes pus or blood will come out when they are expressed.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_glands
 
i have no advice, but i was sort of wondering something similar but not about my sheltie, but my parents sheltie. she lets off a really strong fishy smell every once in a while...she her self never smells fishy and shes never been caught wiping her bottom on the floor. the last time i went up there though the dining room between the kitchen and living room smelled like rotten fish and it would not go away, but yet i brushed her and trimmed her paw hair and she didnt smell or anything. she is prone to getting urinary tract infections a lot so i dunno if that has anything to do with it.
 
no butt rubbing or anything like that. She doesn't even pay any attention to it at all really. Every once in a while after she has been sitting in one spot for a while on the couch you can smell where she was! She is always so hyper and happy with her tail going a million miles an hour so it like it is always fanning the smell right in our faces lol.. I just took a "whiff" of her rear a little while ago and it does not smell like it right now, but I am sure it will start stinking again.. Is this something that needs to be "emptied" often or does it mean something is wrong? I am a bit confused about it as I have never heard of or dealt with this before..

Also is the process something that can be done at home in the bathtub or only by a vet? She was just at the vet a few weeks ago and checked out fine so I guess this will just come and go or will it definately have to be emptied out?

so confused lol thanks!
 
Back
Top