Sudden Jump in Maturity

Chris

Premium Member
Maybe you've all seen this before, but Asher is the first puppy I've been able to watch from almost infancy. Today DS and I both noticed a change. Our little wild man is behaving in a much calmer manner. He's pooping less frequently, and suddenly they look like miniature "big boy" poops instead of the soft baby poops. (Don't I write charming posts? ;))

Today we took a long leash walk, and he was stellar! There was so much less leash gnawing, and near-perfect loose leash walking at my left. He comes when called (ok, I did have to chase him around the yard last night when he found a dead mouse and was determined to keep it). He sits, he shakes, he does down and roll over. Sit up is nearly there, and he automatically sits in front of me to have his leash attached or removed. I keep telling myself that this is a two steps forward and one step back process, but seriously, he really grew up a lot today!!

Oh, and he nailed a Nina Ottenson puzzle!!!
 
Sounds like you got a smart one!
They are so good when they are little. Fillion at 10 weeks did all the same tricks, his recall was great, and he was seldom if ever naughty in the house. I can't think of one thing he destroyed.


Then came adolescence...and most everything he learned went right out the window. Puberty causes deafness I believe. Cuz he wouldn't listen to me for squat. It was a good day when he came out of that phase!
 
LOL have to agree with Cindy - although it does sound like he's made a big step in maturing. I remember all too well the steps backwards with Miss Meadow... :uhoh:
Seriously he sounds like a wonderful, smart puppy with a loving and dedicated owner!
 
Sounds like you got a smart one!
They are so good when they are little. Fillion at 10 weeks did all the same tricks, his recall was great, and he was seldom if ever naughty in the house. I can't think of one thing he destroyed.


Then came adolescence...and most everything he learned went right out the window. Puberty causes deafness I believe. Cuz he wouldn't listen to me for squat. It was a good day when he came out of that phase!
Reading this I thought I was reading about Blueberry…there’s a reason I call her The Little Wench when she’s bad (all the time)! At what point did Bennie come out of that phase Margi? Blueberry turns 2 in 1 month.
There’s not a day that goes by that she chews something (today it was a styrofoam pumpkin, a loofa and some Kleenex)…I walk into a room and BLUEBERRY…….
Doesn’t listen, the boys come in and she stands there staring at me. I say cookie and she won’t move until I get her one:ROFLMAO:.
And don’t even get me started on the accidents in the house…
Oy I can’t wait for this to end!

There’s a reason they’re so cute when they’re puppies:lol:
 
Reading this I thought I was reading about Blueberry…there’s a reason I call her The Little Wench when she’s bad (all the time)! At what point did Bennie come out of that phase Margi? Blueberry turns 2 in 1 month.
Benny went hyper-reactive before I got him at just under a year and he has never come out of that. However, after 3 everything got manageable! You got another year with the Wench!
 
Lulling you into a sense of false security.... they do it so well. You just wait!

Deacon, as Blueberry, is almost 2. He eats socks, underwear, he's sort of gotten over shoelaces but he did eat not only my favorite flip-flops but 3 other pairs as well. He ate the straps off my good bra - I only had 2 and the straps on the other fall down all the time. Had to buy 2 new - straps don't fit as nicely as that one.

I am like Sherlock Holmes - but my detective prowess focuses on deciphering poop. Last week or the week before, my heart just about stopped - GREEN poop, oh my - what did he eat, is he sick, oh shoot - that's the middle finger of my gardening glove. Can't tell you how many times I thought he had worms and it's a string from a toy or my hair bands. Gizmo is kind enough to steal hair bands and leave them for Deacon. Last week, he ate a wine cork, only reason I knew what to expect coming out the other end was he got a piece of it stuck in his teeth and came rushing in to me in a panic pawing at his mouth.

Brodie ate drywall and baseboard but stopped once he hit 12 - 14 months. I dabbed Vick's on places he chewed, just enough for him to get a whiff, and he stopped. He is the best counter surfer ever, but doesn't chew the house any longer.

Deacon is smart - but beyond stubborn. He knows stuff, he understands stuff, he just ignores most of it. In class, he is the perfect student - loose leash heeling or off leash in Rally class, he sits, he stays - out of class, forget it. He is a total fail at tricks - he can sneeze up the wazoo all day - unless you ask him if he has a cold. He refuses to roll over. He can outstare you waiting until you give up. Brodie wouldn't dare ignore - he's too uptight to not strive to be perfect. Deacon could give a ----.
 
Back
Top