Sugar has low thyroid...any advise???

Shelties thyroid normal

I just found out Sugar has a low thyroid count 0.5 with 0.8 being considered low. That explains why he always sleeps and won't play. His thyriod medicine has to be taken 2x's daily and he will be on it the rest of his life, he is 5 years old. Anyone else dealing with this? Any advise on how to care for him?

Worried Sugar's New Mom :(

Is you vet aware that shelties thyroid numbers are nigher then most dogs. My max has low thyroid and it took going to a new vet to realize most of maxs issues comes froma low thyroid. What did your vet say his numbers are?
 
So maybe he will not ever play with toys, I have tried to get him to run he will only trot for a few seconds sometimes he is like a donkey and just stops and refuses to move (I think it's cute but I wouldn't tell him that). I can only hope that by the end of Summer he will improve. That's good news about Edan so I am very hopeful, thanks for your help.

That describes Bacca perfectly! When he is motivated, he can move and jump like a 1 year old. He gets real riled with the lawn mower at the cottage. But most times, he just does his "eeyore" face and slumps around.

He is due to be retested in about 2 months. I might accelerate his testing because I don't like what I'm seeing. He also has liver issues, and he is being flaky about his food lately.

I find that sometimes he has brain farts and is not sure what he should be doing. He'll bark to go outside then, just stare at the open door!
 
Some Improvement

Is you vet aware that shelties thyroid numbers are nigher then most dogs. My max has low thyroid and it took going to a new vet to realize most of maxs issues comes froma low thyroid. What did your vet say his numbers are?

I have not been online for a while, the Vet only gave me the one number of 0.5 and told me that is very low. Sugar does seem to be improving some so I am very hopeful.
 
That describes Bacca perfectly! When he is motivated, he can move and jump like a 1 year old. He gets real riled with the lawn mower at the cottage. But most times, he just does his "eeyore" face and slumps around.

He is due to be retested in about 2 months. I might accelerate his testing because I don't like what I'm seeing. He also has liver issues, and he is being flaky about his food lately.

I find that sometimes he has brain farts and is not sure what he should be doing. He'll bark to go outside then, just stare at the open door!


As I mentioned in a earlier reply, Sugar does seem to be improving a little it will be 3 weeks Friday that he started his meds. He has started barking more and gets really excited when I come home from anywhere something he really didn't do when I first got him the end of March.
 
Back
Top