Surgery??

Good Kharma

Forums Novice
Hi all...Need extra help on this one...My 11 year old, Kharma has a large fatty lump on her left hind quarter. The vet did a cytology, and says it is just fat cells and not cancer. It is fast growing though, and worries me! The vet says to keep a close eye on it and recommends surgery to remove, at a cost of about $3000.00...Kharma doesn't seem bothered by it, still smiling, and creaky in her old age, but normal.
My big question is, when do they get too old for surgery? This is breaking my heart...
Thanks:(
 
Welcome to the forum. I would hesitate if it were my dog at 11 to do surgery unless it was medically necessary.
 
Get a new vet. Fatty tumor removal does not cost $3K.

We have had a few removed on our old dog, I think he was around 11 when we did them. He has grown some more, but they are smaller, and he is 14 now, so no more surgery.
 
Thank you!
My visit yesterday to the vet cost $350.00 and it was just to determine what the lump was...The vet service here in Ontario is pricey! Does anyone know of any non-invasive ways to shrink these lumps? I can't imagine putting my girl down for a lump, but we can't finance an operation like this...feeling nauseous and worried today. Kharma is the oldest of my four girls, and the only canine. Very special to everyone:)
Any advice would be much appreciated...
Laurie
 
Fatty tumors just sit there. Unless it is limiting movement or causing other issues, I would just leave it alone.

I don't know of any way to shrink them.
 
Fatty tumors are not a problem unless they interfere with movement. My Asta had a fatty tumor removed in January, it was right at the side of her wrist joint and had to come off as it would eventually interfere with her joint. The whole thing with a dental came to just over $800, that was out the door. $3,000 is OUTRAGEOUS.

Don't think you need to put your pup to sleep because of a fatty tumor! Especially if it's on her body. It may be unsightly but so what.

My 2 cents worth.

Sharon
 
Fatty tumors just sit there. Unless it is limiting movement or causing other issues, I would just leave it alone.

I don't know of any way to shrink them.

Yes, that is totally correct. A couple of our old cats developed fatty tumors as they got older but we never had them removed as they never hindered their movement. I've seen them on many old dogs too.

I'd be seeking a second opinion from another vet.

There are vets out there in On. who's prices are more reasonable, it just may take some asking around.
 
$3000 is outrageous! :eek2: I would definitely get a second opinion.

My chihuahua had a mast cell tumor, (a little bigger than the size of a pea) removed from her leg. The surgery, biopsy and teeth cleaning was about $800. I'm in NYC, so prices are usually high here too.
 
Wow, that is crazy. I believe they should make a profit, but that is beyond one, outrageous. Yep I agree a second opinion. My vets don't charge like that. Believe me what I pay them they are worth every penny. For shots and checking stool, bloodwork for heartworm, office visit, etc. $81.

For a spay, laser, it was $125. Just to give you an idea what I pay. Before they put them under they check the bloodwork for thyroid, liver, etc.. So that was all included in the price.

Talk to friends to see who they use for reference sake. I consider my shelties like precious jewels, but I would be looking around for a better price.
 
Thank you everyone! Your comments help my heart! I'm going to take her to another vet over the border...I would never consider losing her over a fatty lump, but the cost just isn't something we can manage. I am going to watch her closely and I'll post how she's doing in a few weeks. She does have "good Kharma":)
 
Back
Top