Teaching Left About Turn

Greenepony

Forums Enthusiast
What's everyone favorite way for teaching "About Left Turn" in rally? How about how to handle it with a leash for novice? I'm seeing a couple tutorials online that suggest baiting the counter movement by the dog but I want to see what everyone else does.
 
I just started working on this with Keiran. Since he's still really learning heel position, I'm luring him with high quality treats. My hand is usually right against my left leg, and Keiran will follow the food, I turn my treat hand away (left) from my body slightly so he moves with the treat. I'm also making the turn wider than necessary while he learns the behavior. (If I make the about turn to tight he sits.)

I hope that explanation makes sense.
 
I lure with a treat -- repeating heel. Came in handy when it came time to teach three steps back!
 
I'm a baby-beginner when it comes to Rally, but I've been working on this turn, so maybe I can contribute a little.

I started teaching it with my little dog off-leash, so I had one less thing to drop! I lured a little, and said "around", as I do for a right finish. When she got the hang of it (and I got the hang of what to do with my feet), I added the leash back in. Her idea of heel position is pretty solid, so I think she has a good idea of where she wants to get to when she comes around.

By now, she's got the idea that sometimes I turn into her, and she has to keep travelling to get to heel position. I can pass the leash behind me and I don't have to worry as much about the dog.

It's just this week that we've really been nailing it with the leash, without cookies, so I have no idea if this advice is any good or not. :razz:
 
oddly enough, this is one of the signs that I did not lure with a treat...
I think it's easiest to teach on leash and when they've done it a million times, off leash works too..
I took Jocu outside to do a quick video- it was hard to find the right distance so that you could see the dog and my hands transferring the leash- I put my left hand with the leash out in front which encourages the dog to continue forward while you pass the leash to your right hand and turn away from the dog. Once you've turned, you pass the leash back to your left hand. cookies come then....
This and the double are two of my favorite signs:winkgrin:
 
oddly enough, this is one of the signs that I did not lure with a treat...
I think it's easiest to teach on leash and when they've done it a million times, off leash works too..
I took Jocu outside to do a quick video- it was hard to find the right distance so that you could see the dog and my hands transferring the leash- I put my left hand with the leash out in front which encourages the dog to continue forward while you pass the leash to your right hand and turn away from the dog. Once you've turned, you pass the leash back to your left hand. cookies come then....
This and the double are two of my favorite signs:winkgrin:
That angle really helps, thanks! I think I was over thinking it
 
Can I suggest this is one manoeuvre it's worth practising without the dog first, just with the lead. It helps get your hand work and foot work co-ordinated before confusing the dog.:wink2:

Had to do a quick run through as it's been 12months since I did Rally (or taught an obedience class), so easy to forget. I learnt to step out and pivot on the right leg to turn. And also, when I want my dogs to swap sides behind me I say "about", when I want then to swap in front of me I say "around". The "about" I use mostly in dog sports (agility, rally, obedience), but the "around" is helpful when we are walking and the dogs are tangling the leads.

Must get back to Rally when the weather warms, might help with Deska's neuroses.
 
so your verbal command is "heel heel heel"? That's another thing that was tripping me up

Yes. I learned from a really good handler (which I'm not!) that once you nail heel in and position or circumstance, it is useful for many things!
 
Back
Top