Tennis ball tendonitis

Caro

Moderator
Well here's a new one for me. You know about tennis elbow, well Tully has tennis ball shoulder. We had another trip to the physio this week for limping, refusing to jump and even not bothering chasing a roo that hopped directly across our path. The physio said she has tendonitis in 2 places in her shoulder - likely caused by either repetitively stopping suddenly and turning or repetitively running fast over rough terrain.

Now she does do stops and turns at flyball and agility but I wouldn't say its to the point of getting RSI. And she does chase roos over paddocks. But lets face it, the real culprit is the constant chasing balls at high speed and stopping and turning to pick it up. I think the other stuff has just aggravated it.

So now I have to convince my dog group to stop throwing the ball to Tully, no matter how cute she is or annoying her barking. And how do I explain to a ball obsessed nutter that I am doing it for her own good!
 
Poor Tully! In pain and now banned from her favorite ball game. :(

I know it's hard to deny her something she loves so much, but hopefully the rest will allow her to heal.

This kind of injury is why I opted for a running A-frame in agility. Too much stress on the shoulders with repeated 2o2o stops.
 
Poor Tully, it sounds like not getting to play ball will be as bad as the sore shoulder, I hope it heals quickly. Hearing that your shelties chase roos sounds so exotic when mine only get to chase squirrels that come in the yard!
 
No videos of chasing roos - the animal rights people would be onto us, esp atm with another roo cull going on.

Its funny to think a herding dog can get soreness from stopping and turning. Tully definately has a herding style when she picks up a ball unlike her retriever buddies who pounce on it (or jump up to it). The hard thing will be finding another high energy alternative, she can't keep doing the chasing and flyball and agility.
 
Back
Top