The path of "leashed" resistance

I really don't play those games of trying different collars or harnesses when the real problem is the dog does know how to offer behaviors or try different behavior to figure out the problem. He needs to learn how to learn. Nothing is bad is going to happen if you just let him stand there and next time he has an issue he will less likely to be afraid to try a behavior. JMHO:smile2:

Agreed. This is a much better course of action than spending money on a gimmick.
 
If it were my dog, I would snap the leash on his collar, drop the leash and wait and I mean wait until he moved and then praise and treat. Might be just a foot but really he can't stand there forever eventually he has to move. :smile2: Sit down ,get comfy and wait. Let it be a boat anchor, let him stand there and figure it out. It will likely take a long time the first time, but the second movement will come faster and the third faster yet...

As I followed the progression of this thread, this is exactly what came to my mind. But, as I have little personal frame of reference, I offered no input and simply followed the discussion. I can see that several of the other potential solutions to the problem were logical and I see no reason why other solutions wouldn't work. It would just seem that the method Dr. Shelli uses would be simpler (and seemingly has a greater potential for success provide your threshold for resolve is higher than your pup's).
 
I have to say that ITA with Dr. Shelli on this one.

No dog, especially a puppy, is soooo sensitive that they can't walk on a leash, etc. They don't, because we set them up not to. (ie. buy harnesses, strollers, etc.)

My idea of using the piece of a leash is only a little step in between "no leash" and walking on a full leash.

There's just no reason at all that a dog would not end up figuring out that nothing bad will happen when they walk on a leash - unless of course, they never actually really have to do it.
 
Update: Jackson has warmed to the harness and will walk willingly. He's still a little slow getting started, but we've taken some lovely walks the past few days.
 
My Hanna does not mind her leash at all - she will happily drag it around, but walking is another thing. She follows for a few steps then wants to go exploring - soon as I put the least little bit of pressure on it she sits herself down. I can lure her with a treat, so long as the leash is completely slack, and we repeat the whole scenario. Took me almost half an hour to walk her 1/2 a block today.

Hubby got home today and we had better success this evening. She still needed a lot of encouragement (especially on the way out) but there was more walking and less sitting. Went twice as far as this morning in half the time. Yeah Hanna!

We start puppy class next Saturday so I want her to be comfortable with being on a leash.

Her collar might be too loose - I got her a rolled leather one in the smallest size, and I can still slip almost 3 fingers under it. We still have a week - I can always use a harness if need be. She is gaining confidence and growing by the minute it seems.
 
That's so exciting that he is enjoying walks now :)
With little Hanna just thought I'd throw in that sounds pretty much little my Bon as well. The first three months at least was lots of work on walks. I think I went outside of home and our street too quick. For a while there it was walk, sit, walk, sit. Sometimes she'd get to a certain point and just park herself, some fear of going to close to a loud road. Lots of rewards and encouragement and you'll get there in the end.
 
Back
Top