This may be it..

Minniesmom15

Forums Regular
Well, I think my boyfriend and I MAY be getting a sheltie puppy early this March! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, the breeder said there is a good chance there will be a puppy available for me, but won't be 100% for another 3-4 weeks. It's impossible not to get excited, though!

SO, I'm wondering if anybody has any important tips/advice for me? What size crate? Best slicker/pin brushes? (and what's the difference??) Do a lot of you have problems with your dogs getting poop or pee on themselves with all that fur?

I'm sure I'll add more questions as I think of them, but that's it for now! Thanks in advance!
 
Fingers crossed that you get your puppy!! You will be sooooo happy. Don't worry about them getting poop or pee on themselves. It really only happens if they have loose stools. Just enjoy and love him/her up!! Oh, and post pictures here...
 
This is a great time to read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete. It made all the difference for us. :yes:
 
Fingers crossed that you get your puppy!! You will be sooooo happy. Don't worry about them getting poop or pee on themselves. It really only happens if they have loose stools. Just enjoy and love him/her up!! Oh, and post pictures here...
Thanks, I really hope it works out! So exciting to see the pudgy little babies and think one may be mine in a month!

This is a great time to read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete. It made all the difference for us. :yes:
I will check it out on amazon, I also have been told to order the "puppy primer!" Thanks :)
 
I have my fingers crossed for you!

I heartily agree with suggestions to pick up some puppy books. I also found a couple books specifically about the Shetland Sheepdog very helpful. Of course each dog is unique, but there are certain traits, health issues, etc. that are common to the breed, and it's helpful to have an idea what to expect. This is also a great time to read through the threads in the Puppies 101 section! Lots of great tips given in there... and you can benefit from all the questions we newbie owners have been asking for years!

Regarding the mess + fur issue... like Dawn said, they are highly unlikely to get poo/pee on themselves as puppies (unless they have loose stools). That problem won't show up until later, when the long adult fur starts growing in, and it can be easily dealt with by keeping the dog well-groomed. If you take the dog to a groomer, most of them offer a "sanitary shave," where they shave the fur very short right around the private parts. We have that done every time we take Lerwick in for grooming, and we never have an issue. I can always tell when he's overdue for grooming when he starts getting dingleberries! :ick

As for a crate type... there are lots of threads on the forum about that. There are several kinds to choose from... wire, plastic, etc. and a lot of it is just up to your own preference, and also your dog's preference. Some dogs prefer the wire crates so they can see everything going on around them, others prefer the plastic crates because they're closed-off and more "den-like." My suggestion here is actually to go for the wire crate, because you can always drape a towel/blanket (or the commercially-made crate covers) over the wire crate if your dog turns out to be a den type... but it's much more difficult to make those closed plastic crates feel open and airy! We got a Midwest Homes wire crate. It's great. It folds up for storage/moving, has a divider, and is really well-made.

As for the crate size, it should be big enough that the dog can turn around and lie down, and tall enough he can stand up and not have his head/ears touch the roof (and not have to bow his head at all, of course). When I was crate shopping, one of the puppy books I was reading suggested to buy a crate that would be big enough for your dog when he is full-grown, and make sure the crate comes with a divider that you can move around so that the crate grows with the dog. The idea here is that when the puppy is small, and especially when you're still housebreaking him, you don't want the crate to be too big, otherwise it will encourage the puppy to use one end as a makeshift potty and sleep in the other end. Being able to move the divider means the crate is always the right size, and you don't have to keep buying new crates as he outgrows them. This is what we did... but unfortunately, Lerwick ended up being larger than expected, so his crate is not as tall as we'd like these days! Fortunately, we don't really need to use it anymore, but some day I'd like to get a taller one just in case. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to know how big your pup will end up, so my suggestion would be to overestimate the size you'll need. Buy a crate roomy enough for a Border Collie, and I'd guess that should be plenty big enough for your Sheltie... even if your pup does go oversize.

Keep us posted!
 
Paws crossed for you getting you pup. I always loved the puppy stage and all the training. DH loves once puppyhood is over.

We also used the wire crate with a divider. This worked really well for us. Shelby is almost 3 and still goes in her crate every day when we are at work. The wire crate is easy to fold and transport. Which was great for us as we do a lot of traveling.

You will get a lot of good suggestions for brushes. Just remember to get your pup used to being brushed and groomed early on. You will be glad you did.

We hope to see pictures!
 
I've been spending a lot of time in the "Puppies 101" section, and I'm on amazon ordering books as we speak! Can't wait till they get here. Good to know about the poo/pee in the fur thing! I'm actually planning on going to school to be a groomer, so I'm sure I'll be able to stay on top of that no problem.
I definitely want a wire crate. I was at petsmart shopping today, and I think it may have been the Midwest brand, size medium that I liked. Does everyone keep their dog's crates in the bedrooms? I'd really like the crate up in my room, but it's upstairs. We have a very open living room/kitchen, so there's really no way to gate off a section for puppy, and x-pens are so expensive! I'd like to have a place to put the pup downstairs, though, like if I'm cooking dinner/washing dishes or something and can't keep my eyes on him.. any suggestions? Do I just need to suck it up and buy two crates, or maybe a soft crate for downstairs?
What about in the car, do you guys leave your dogs loose, in a crate, or seatbelted? I was leaning towards a harness.
I would really like to invest in a good force dryer at some point, and I thought for now I would dry puppy with a human hair dryer to get used to the air/noise. Does that sound okay?

I am SO EXCITED for the whole puppy stage. I know it's going to be a lot of work and sleepless nights, but I'm hoping it pays off in a year or two with a happy, obedient, well rounded dog.
 
I definitely want a wire crate. I was at petsmart shopping today, and I think it may have been the Midwest brand, size medium that I liked. Does everyone keep their dog's crates in the bedrooms? I'd really like the crate up in my room, but it's upstairs. We have a very open living room/kitchen, so there's really no way to gate off a section for puppy, and x-pens are so expensive! I'd like to have a place to put the pup downstairs, though, like if I'm cooking dinner/washing dishes or something and can't keep my eyes on him.. any suggestions? Do I just need to suck it up and buy two crates, or maybe a soft crate for downstairs?

We actually carted the wire crate around to different parts of the house. Ours came with a handle, so you could lift it and carry it around once it was set up, if you didn't want to mess with collapsing it. We had Lerwick sleep in the crate in our room at night, and in the morning we'd carry the crate out to the living room. Now Lerwick sleeps on the bed with us, so the crate stays in the living room all the time.

What about in the car, do you guys leave your dogs loose, in a crate, or seatbelted? I was leaning towards a harness.
I would really like to invest in a good force dryer at some point, and I thought for now I would dry puppy with a human hair dryer to get used to the air/noise. Does that sound okay?

When Lerwick was a puppy, he HATED riding in the car. We were lucky... he didn't get carsick... but he was clearly afraid to ride in the car, and would really resist getting in the car. At that point, I would sit in the back seat with him, and he'd crawl up me and try to hide in my hair. He wouldn't settle down at all. We started putting him in his crate in the car (it only JUST fit in our '91 Sentra), and he was much better about going in the car then. It also kept him safer than simply being loose. Of course, it was a real pain to heft that crate into and out of the backseat all the time, so when one day we just put him in the back seat for a short drive to the walking trail by our house, and Lerwick was perfectly happy to get in the car, we rejoiced! We bought an Easy Rider harness and one of those zipline dog seatbelts (this one, actually), and that's what we use now for long or short car trips. We tried one of the ones that just clip to the car's fastened seatbelt, but that didn't work out so well for us. Lerwick managed to get himself all tangled up in it and pinned so that he couldn't budge, and got very upset. The overhead zipline works well for us, for now.

What we really want is to get a station wagon with a pet package and turn the cargo hold into a big crate for him. :lol:
 
We kept Shelby's crate in our kitchen. Our 1st floor is open so she could see and hear us from it. At night we kept her there (she was very loud at night so there was no way she was staying in our room). Now that she is older her crate is now in the spare bedroom. The only time she goes in is when we go to work. At night she now sleeps in our bedroom on the floor. Unless DH is snoring then Shelby and I snugggle in the spare bedroom bed.
 
I'm excited for you! Not knowing for sure must be such a tease. With my sheltie, I've actually had an issue with him getting pee on his tummy. His wee-wee hair would kind of guide it to his underbelly but since I've trimmed it, it doesn't happen any more. I trimmed it maybe 4-5 months ago and he's 9 months now so it may have just been an awkward puppy phase. Fingers-crossed that everything works out :smile2:
 
Back
Top