Thoughts from the mom of a crazy sheltie

That's why I went with the cape collar rather than the Elizabethan collar when Tully had her hip done, was easy for her to drink while still stopping her reaching her hip (as she twisted around it would slip down lower to cover more). Kong do a soft collar now.

When Deska had his elbows done (obviously not as difficult as a foot though), I used to wrap his cast in cling wrap.

View attachment 13985
Skylar had this kind of collar after her most recent surgery. She was the one who came up with the idea of wearing it as a cape, and since it worked just fine that way, I let her do it. She was much happier in this than a cone.
 
I got the collar from the vet specialist, they use those collars all the time with long nosed dogs (and cats). They face it the other way as an e-collar as well but told me to use it as a cape. The one I have is a Trimline recovery collar. Tully's is about 9", I use it for Deska as well (he's 16" with a very long nose).
 
Thanks, poor little girl was still doped up on fentanyl in that pic. I set up her bed in the front courtyard so she could have some outdoor time out of the sun.
When Sandstorm was groggy after his minor skin tag surgery he was walking funny and bumping into things. Yes, we laughed at him.
 
I am wondering if one of those would work with Beau. He learned to wedge the edge of the ecollar against the bars on his crate, the floor, or a door molding to bend the edge, which helped him get to his wound. We had to up the collar to a 25" one--that one worked. Hopefully, I won't have to find out what will work with him now. He is out of the collar.
 
I am wondering if one of those would work with Beau. He learned to wedge the edge of the ecollar against the bars on his crate, the floor, or a door molding to bend the edge, which helped him get to his wound. We had to up the collar to a 25" one--that one worked. Hopefully, I won't have to find out what will work with him now. He is out of the collar.

Poor boy 25" must be about labrador size. He's a smart little fellow isn't he.
 
Back
Top