Thoughts on coats or jackets for our fur babies.

Laddie's Mom

Forums Enthusiast
Bella's owner use to have her wear a heavy sweater in the winter and a "padded coat" for when it was cold, like today. What are your thoughts on coats/jackets? I am sceptical as I thought Shelties had "Built in" winter wear?
 
No coats if you want a coat grow one. I have used boots in the past when it was super cold out but that if I was walking them where there was salt.
 
We just went through a couple of days with windchills -28 to -30F. No coats. Just kept them outside for a short time and brought them back in.
 
That is how I feel, that they already have a nice, thick coat, why make them more susceptible to illness by molly coddling them, the boots sound like a good idea however.
 
I have a coat for Hanna - it only gets used if she's going in the car with us on a longish drive ( back seat is not near as warm as we are up front). She goes out many times a day for short periods of 5-10 minutes without a coat but when it gets to minus 20C or so we put it on if she's going for a longer walk. I expect next year when she's into her full coat we won't be using one at all. None of my previous shelties ever had one - she's just so much smaller, and is going through her first winter as a puppy so we're being a little cautious.
 
Does it really get that cold in NZ for a coat? The only time I've put clothing on mine is 1) when Deska was shaved for surgery 2) walking in mud before work. In the latter case it was to keep their fur from dragging in the mud and I put a cotton baby onesy on them, nothing thick. Oh and they wear light weight raincoats.
 
Does it really get that cold in NZ for a coat? The only time I've put clothing on mine is 1) when Deska was shaved for surgery 2) walking in mud before work. In the latter case it was to keep their fur from dragging in the mud and I put a cotton baby onesy on them, nothing thick. Oh and they wear light weight raincoats.
No, not at all, now where I am from, that was a different story, but here, I see no need for any coat at all.

A raincoat would make even more sense than the heavy sweater she has worn. Oh well, at least they were loved.
 
No coat here either. This past week was extremely cold. -5F with wind chills as low as -30F. We would only leave Shelby out for a brief moment to got to the bathroom. She didn't want to come in. If it were up to her she would stay out for hours. However I do wish I could find something to keep the snow from sticking to her undersides and butt. She loves being out in the snow but when she comes in she is one big snow ball!!

I do have an orange vest for walking in the dark that we put on her. I attach a red light to it so she is easier to see at night. I am always afraid we might get hit in the dark.
 
Well, a couple weeks ago I would have said the same thing--that a coat seems unnecessary for a dog with a warm, fluffy coat. But the other day we took a 15 minute walk in the snow and Lexi was having a blast. She never once slowed down. Towards the end she jumped into my arms and she was shivering! I was surprised as it wasn't that cold out (25).

So, we bought her a coat. She loves the snow, and she loves to be outside. I don't want her to be cold or have to miss out on snowy fun times.
 
We did coats for the Christmas Walk one year when it was sleeting (Layla and Beckon). And we bundled everyone up for a midnight walk during the last snowstorm.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back
Top