Tiny Sheltie?

Sigurd

Forums Novice
Hello all,

Little Skye is 10.5 months old now and the little part is apt! She weighs just 6.5 pounds.

She is a purebred and nearly all the other puppies in the litter are twice her size. There is one other puppy that is "small" but that one is still easily over 10 pounds according to their owner.

I've had two vets check her out and both think she is perfectly healthy, including a healthy weight for her frame. Shes just small!

Should I expect a late growth spurt? Anyone else have this experience?
 
I would say your puppy is unusually small for a sheltie. At 10.5 months, your puppy has most likely reached her full adult height. She may grow an inch taller, but I wouldn't expect a huge growth spurt at this point. She'll probably just fill out and gain a drop more weight.

Do you know how tall your puppy is right now? Also, how many pounds was she when you first brought her home? As long as your vet says she is healthy and is growing normally, that's all that matters right now.
 
I would say your puppy is unusually small for a sheltie. At 10.5 months, your puppy has most likely reached her full adult height. She may grow an inch taller, but I wouldn't expect a huge growth spurt at this point. She'll probably just fill out and gain a drop more weight.

Do you know how tall your puppy is right now? Also, how many pounds was she when you first brought her home? As long as your vet says she is healthy and is growing normally, that's all that matters right now.

Maybe slightly over a foot?

Here is a picture:
http://imgur.com/LflSuDV
 
She is tiny but very cute! It's actually not too unusual for a breeder to have one small puppy in a litter. I've known a few that have been under 10 pounds. As long as she's healthy and your vet thinks she's fine, I wouldn't worry. She may grow a bit more and will likely add some weight in the next few months, but it sounds like she'll continue to be a small Sheltie. The better to fit in your lap! Enjoy her and welcome to the forum! :yes:
 
my little boy (of my four) is 13.75" at the shoulder and 13.5 lb.
he is 2.5 yrs so pretty sure that he's all done growing:winkgrin:
I have to admit that I love his portability:yes:
 
preciously petite

She is very sweet, and like it was stated, portable. If your Vet is giving her a clean bill of health, then I would cease fretting. Great things come in smaller packages.

I have one that is smaller in size, yet BIGGER in attitude, :lol: The breeder and I were shocked that she just never really increased. She reached her full stature around 11 mths.

So much stuff is downsizing...the tiny house movement, company consolidation, compact little cars.

Skye is just trendy...and how terrific is that:winkgrin:
 
Clarabelle didn't reach 10 lbs until she was over a year old. Now she's about 12. I'm on the "if your vet thinks she is okay, and you trust your vet, then she's okay" side.
 
Tully is just a tiny short of 13". She had a growth spurt between 12 and 14 months (I put it down to the warmer weather) to reach that height. I had thought she was going to be really tiny. It wasn't a lot, but probably about 1/2". You'll probably also find Skye will put on more weight as her bones get bigger and she widens a little too.
 
Back
Top