Tips when searching for breeder and what questions to ask

jumba

Forums Enthusiast
Hi everyone. So, I am fairly certain the time for looking up breeders is fast approaching. A little birdie has told me that by this time next year the time will be right.

So, I have two breeders within an hour or so from me. One breeds confirmation dogs, which I saw at a show not so long ago. The other does mostly sports, but has some confirmation titles on their dogs. The problem is that I think I am being too picky. We really want a female dog, but my OH has said if it was the perfect dog and I was in love with it, then a male would be okay. But we do not want to budge on blue merle color. I'd really love a Color Headed White (Blue Merle), if I'm being entirely truthful. I know CHW is not common, so I would be OK with a blue merle. I've waited a long time for this dog and I kind of don't want to compromise on that. Is it OK that I want a specific color? Will a breeder totally disregard me if I tell them this?

What kind of prices can I expect to pay and is it rude of me to ask in advance what the deposit will be, and if the deposit is transferrable to a different litter if there isn't a puppy I click with? Or how much the total cost will be? I have a sum saved up - enough of an amount that made my OH raise his eyebrows and ask if that's what they all cost. I also have money saved for necessities/vet fund.

If I am looking for mostly a companion, but I may want to try agility (my OH has said he will build me a mini agility course in the backyard to practice with if I wanted). Which would be better, a breeder that focuses mostly on confirmation or one that focuses mostly on sports? I don't necessarily know that I want a dog bred for sport but know that there are pet puppies in almost every litter.

Thank you for any advice.
 
This sounds like the perpetual conflict between my wife and me. When we go looking for furniture, I want something that's functional and comfortable. She wants something that will match the drapes.
 
This sounds like the perpetual conflict between my wife and me. When we go looking for furniture, I want something that's functional and comfortable. She wants something that will match the drapes.

Mignarda:

Brother, remember, "Happy wife, happy life". Give it up. Match the drapes.

Jumba:

Take it from me. The more you look. The more you research. The more folks you talk to, the more your wants will adjust. It's the natural order of things. Your original post sounds very similar to my opening post about this time last year. I too am searching for a pup and stubbornly holding on to my core wants/likes (and I think that I am right to do so). I am willing to wait as long as it takes. This is a great place to ask, learn and visit with folks who really know and love Shelties.
 
Although I think personality is much more important than color...you certainly have the right to choose a certain color and hold out for the puppy that fits your dreams.

You should be 100% open about your wishes when you speak with a breeder. If the breeder is put off by your wishes then he/she isn't the right breeder for you to work with. A working relationship with a breeder should be honest on both sides...so that you are happy with the pup you buy and the breeder is comfortable that he/she is sending their pup off to the right home for that pup. You may find you change some of your priority list as you get into your search. A good breeder will guide you in chosing a pup that really fits for you and will always be there to address any concerns you might have throughout the life of the little dog you get.

Have fun searching!!!

Trini
 
Granted, mine have all come through adoptive means, but I have always given a "laundry list" when pondering, often in order of importance with certain definites and certain optionals in the way of color, gender, age, planned activities, etc.

A deposit, fee, contract specifics, and waiting list policy along with breeder policies such as visits, double merles (if that is an issue for you), health "guarantee" options, and the like should be no secret. You should feel comfortable communcating with the breeder. If you are afraid to ask, it's the wrong breeder for you.

Best wishes on your search.
 
Please don't get me wrong. Personality is very important to me, moreso than the color. I would not pick a puppy just because it is Blue Merle if the personality wasn't what I was looking for. I would say that on my list, it would be good breeder, health testing, personality, color and then gender. When I say that I'm looking for the perfect puppy, it has to be overall the best puppy for us. If that puppy was Blue Merle, it would be the cherry on top.

The reaction from the person who said about the matching was the drapes was the exact reaction I feared. I have researched this breed, gotten nervous, talked about it with my OH, made a pro and con list etc. I'm not going into this unprepared. In this case, he was the one who liked Blue Merle, I was a whatever fit best girl. He originally wanted an Aussie, and loved the color. I wanted a Collie. We found the best compromise in a Sheltie and after doing research, it truly is the best fit for us.

I guess color is just one thing I won't mention to the breeder. I don't want to appear to be one of 'those' people.
 
...The reaction from the person who said about the matching was the drapes was the exact reaction I feared....


Jumba:

I'm not sure if you "feared" Mignarda's comment about the "carpet and the drapes", or my response to him. But (and I'm partially guessing here), I don't think that either one of them were offered as comments to be "feared" (I know that mine wasn't offered in that vein). I took Mignarda's original comment to reference the stereotypical tendency between husband and wife to disagree over various life decisions. My response (directed to him) was a bit of tongue-in-cheek silliness offered to another member of the "Man's Club".

That said, IMO, whatever criteria you choose to employ for the selection of a new companion is fine. Some of us will agree (even if only in part), and others will disagree. None of that demeans your search criteria. If my comment created the response you noted, I apologize, but again, it was not offered to elicit such a response.
 
Please don't get me wrong. Personality is very important to me, moreso than the color. I would not pick a puppy just because it is Blue Merle if the personality wasn't what I was looking for. I would say that on my list, it would be good breeder, health testing, personality, color and then gender. When I say that I'm looking for the perfect puppy, it has to be overall the best puppy for us. If that puppy was Blue Merle, it would be the cherry on top.

The reaction from the person who said about the matching was the drapes was the exact reaction I feared. I have researched this breed, gotten nervous, talked about it with my OH, made a pro and con list etc. I'm not going into this unprepared. In this case, he was the one who liked Blue Merle, I was a whatever fit best girl. He originally wanted an Aussie, and loved the color. I wanted a Collie. We found the best compromise in a Sheltie and after doing research, it truly is the best fit for us.

I guess color is just one thing I won't mention to the breeder. I don't want to appear to be one of 'those' people.

It sounds like you have really done your homework and thought this out thoroughly. But, I see no harm in mentioning color to any breeder you talk to...and mentioning that although you do have a color preference it is not your first priority. Many people perfer a certain color and that is 100% understandable.

One thing I would add to your list of what you feel is important in a good breeder is that the breeder ask that you sign a contract stating that if you ever couldn't keep the little dog you got from him/her, you had to return the dog to them. Any breeder who really cares about their pups will want that contract promise so they know one of their dogs doesn't end up in rescue or a shelter.

The right breeder should be happy to talk with you about their dogs and welcome you to come and meet the available pups, spend time watching their interaction with others in their litter and their reaction to you, and be open about any health test results on their line. If you can meet both parents of a litter that is ideal, but often only the dam will be owned by the breeder and available for you to meet.

If a breeder shows impatience with your questions/concerns...better to move on and find one that is happy to take the time to work with you.
Any little pup you get will hopefully be with you for well over 12 years...so it is important to get a good fit.

Trini
 
I have a friend on a breeder's waiting list for another breed of pup. If you go down the published online waiting list, nearly everyone mentioned a gender and color preference. However, when the litter is born, pups' personalities will be taken into account as the breeder will evaluate the litter and make recommendations and selections and assist each person in getting what is desired.

As to the curtain comment. Just remember there are a lot of us who have gotten somewhat to know each other and each others' dogs and even spouses/partners through threads, anecdotes, private messages, and even personal interactions at clubs, shows, meet-ups, etc. There are some running jokes here and there that come from our familiarity (and in this case, gender!).

As to breed, shelties are delightful. More portable than a collie. I have shared my life with fine full-sized Aussies, but my sheltie is clearly smarter. My Aussies were pretty mellow, but most other Aussies I have met in class or out at events seem to have ADHD. My sheltie, other than having a food-frenzy issue, is delightful and as we work out our relationship she and I are becoming best girlfriends.

Color is a preference, working lines versus possibly a little less drive lines is very much a consideration (meaning you gotta live with the animal 24/7), and male/female is definitely a consideration. There are some threads discussing male/female to take into thought. Most recently, I described all my boys (aussies & shepherd) as children but my girls (aussie & sheltie) are more like my best girlfriends. We butt heads, we negotiate, but we have each other's back and work as a team. I have been able to count on my girls in a way I never have with the boys, however, they have not been the easiest relationships. More one of respect rather than flat-out adoration.

Thoroughly understand what you are looking for and do not in any way fear communicating it with a breeder.
 
Jumba:

I'm not sure if you "feared" Mignarda's comment about the "carpet and the drapes", or my response to him. But (and I'm partially guessing here), I don't think that either one of them were offered as comments to be "feared" (I know that mine wasn't offered in that vein). I took Mignarda's original comment to reference the stereotypical tendency between husband and wife to disagree over various life decisions. My response (directed to him) was a bit of tongue-in-cheek silliness offered to another member of the "Man's Club".

That said, IMO, whatever criteria you choose to employ for the selection of a new companion is fine. Some of us will agree (even if only in part), and others will disagree. None of that demeans your search criteria. If my comment created the response you noted, I apologize, but again, it was not offered to elicit such a response.

No, it wasn't you at all. I did get a chuckle out of both yours and his reply. I just meant I didn't want to be seen as one of 'those' people who like a dog solely based on its look or whatnot, especially since I hadn't gone into purchasing a Sheltie without lots of thought. I did not mean for my post to make you feel bad. If I did, I am sorry! I am still new and don't know everyone well yet. I know that sometimes, for me at least, not knowing someone and reading text on a website can make things sound in ways they weren't intended to!

And thank you to those who have responded so far. You have all given me food for thought.
Mom2Melli, can you explain what you mean by working lines? Is it what I am thinking of (that they come from working stock and have a different mindset than those just bred for conformation?). Is this something we should be looking intobor staying away from for what we are looking for?
 
Back
Top