Training the Chute

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Does anyone have any good material on how to train the chute? I found a great article on Clean Run, but don't have access to it. :(

The typical training I know, is to hold it open, do that until they're comfy. Then drape it on them as they run through, but don't let go yet. Then move to letting it go on their backs (not their face). The let them run through.

I really want to do the AKC Jumpers, but they have chutes (didn't know that). The trial is April 10-11. I think in a month, Koji should have it down well if I work on it everyday. BTW, I have a chute on order. A soft barreled one, but I figure it'll work for training purposes.

Thoughts? Advice? Is that about right for training?

Oh, and how do I treat? Let go of the chute after he's out THEN treat? C/T? If so, when to click?
 
Poop chute! No-o-o-o-o!

Guffaw! I didn't look at the category, I just saw the word "training the chute" and trying to figure out how would I train a poop chute. Hmmmm! not sure if you can.

Then I realize that I'm on the agility thread....idiot!
 
AKC Chute

AKC JWW does not use a chute but tunnels. I have never seen a chute in JWW only standard.
 
http://www.dogsportmagazine.com/?p=491

10 Tips to Training The Chute!




1) If you can easily remove the fabric portion of the chute from the barrel, start training with just the hard tunnel, otherwise roll up the chute until it is at the edge of the barrel (some chutes have varying length fabric portions, use the shortest length you have available to start). Have the dog get used to running through the barrel by sending him through with the command you plan to use.

2) Some people prefer to use a “Chute” command for the chute and a “Tunnel” command for the open pipe tunnel. The preference is in case there is a call off on a course at some point, or you need to send your dog to one obstacle or the other. This is mostly a matter of preference; you may use “Tunnel” for both the chute and the tunnel, or you can differentiate between the obstacles.

3) Start to slowly unfurl the fabric portion of the chute, but continue to hold it open as the dog runs through. It is best to have a training partner for this so that you can send the dog through from the entrance and your partner is holding the chute open at the other end.

4) When the dog is running the length of the chute with it open, start to gently drop the very end of the fabric onto the dog just as the dog is existing the tunnel.

5) Start to drop the fabric onto the dog a little earlier each time, perhaps a foot before the end, then two feet before the end, etc. Judge your dog’s comfort with having the chute released and don’t forget to give lots of praise when he/she exits the chute.

6) Once the obstacle is understood by the dog, start placing it in short sequences.

7) Work on sending the dog to the entrance of the chute from different angles

8) When you are running courses with a chute, make sure as you plan your handling strategy that you consider the dog’s angle entering the chute and the angle at which he is likely to exit — make sure your path won’t cross your dog’s path leading to a collision!

9) Your dog can’t see you while he/she is in the chute; don’t forget to call your dog early so he/she can orient to the direction of your voice prior to exiting.

10) HAVE FUN!

By Anna Houser

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dog-Agility-Training-For-Tunnels-and-Chutes&id=1983719 (more info)

(i know nothing on the subject but found this article)
 
Last edited:
Ok, can't really add anything to that, its perfect. Just follow what Sheltieguy says and you'll be golden. BTW, shelties shouldn't take that long to train on most things. I'm having a devil of a time on weave poles but thats because I don't own my own to train every day. If I did I'd probably have it pat in 2 weeks max.
 
Guffaw! I didn't look at the category, I just saw the word "training the chute" and trying to figure out how would I train a poop chute. Hmmmm! not sure if you can.

Then I realize that I'm on the agility thread....idiot!

HE-he-he...thought the same thing so I had to come into the thread and look.
 
Deska had a real fear of chutes so I had to work hard on this. We dont use it in training much, we had a trial in Jan and he categorically refused to go inside.

Make sure you make noise outside the chute when they are in it - call their name or clap your hands, and do this slightly in front of them so they keep moving towards your voice. Once they get into the chute part it can get scary.

You can also do some fun things at home to get him used to having something on his head. Start with playing peek a boo, and once he gets the hang of this put a quilt over him and give him a treat when he works his way out. We play this on the bed - Deska pops under the doona at one end and I call him at the other and when he sticks his head out where I am standing he gets a cheer and ruff up (I used to give him treats but he loves the game so much now I dont need to). The only thing is make sure they dont go silly under the quilt/blanket and roll around or it may translate into the chute. Deska would roll around and around under the doona and then he gets to the chute and does the same thing when he is being silly.

They get used to the chute pretty quickly using the quilt - a month should be plenty of time. It only took a couple of weeks for Deska to get over his fear.
 
Guffaw! I didn't look at the category, I just saw the word "training the chute" and trying to figure out how would I train a poop chute. Hmmmm! not sure if you can.

Then I realize that I'm on the agility thread....idiot!

Okay. That was hilarious. I didn't even think about that, but yes, I can see why it was mistaken. By all means, if you CAN train the poop chute, please let us know. ;)
 
AKC JWW does not use a chute but tunnels. I have never seen a chute in JWW only standard.

From what I read on the AKC website, in the rules book, the "closed tunnels" are "Allowed". Maybe they just never use them. I don't want to pay $20 to run and get there and see a chute and think, there goes that run in any sort of way. I'm debating if it's worth it to pay $20 for this one day Jumpers event (won't be running anything else).

AKC JWW Agility Rule Book Check out page 50. Under Closed Tunnels, there's an A. Which means it's allowed. Maybe they just don't use it much?
 
Last edited:
Thanks SheltieGuy. I think that's how we kinda learned in class long long ago and I'm surprised that was found online. Most things I found had very little instruction. Said the same thing, but in about 3 steps. I wanted something more detailed.

So, if fellow agility ppl think that is good, then I will do that. Chute should be here Thursday.

Um, I move on Saturday, do you think I should introduce Koji to the chute again, before or after the move?
 
Back
Top