Treating Low-Normal Thyroid?

take4roll10

Moderator
Hi all! Many of you have may have read on multiple sheltie rescue sites that some shelties have hypothyroid symptoms when their thyroid is in the low-normal range and some owners choose to medicate.

For the past 3 years, My dog has been struggling with extreme fur loss. Right now, she has been diagnosed with Atypical Cushing's Disease and has been doing well on the treatment plan. However, her fur and skin continue to get worse and worse. Her neck, sides and rear legs are almost completely bald.

Her thyroid has always come back normal, but is sort of low normal. Since 2015, her T4 has ranged from 1.1 to 1.5 and Free T4 1.3 to 1.9. So not extremely low, but in the lower 1/3 range. However, back in 2011 and 2012, her T4 was higher (2 to 2.7) and she did not have fur issues.

I was wondering who treats their dog for low-normal thyroid? What were your sheltie's symptoms? And test results? Thanks in advance!
 
I wish I could tell you the exact numbers but I had thyroid issues on most of my rescue shelties...
Chance, Jasmine, Logan were all on Thyroid meds. Non had hair loss. Except Chance's tail had hair loss.
Do you think the Cushing's and Thyroid together are causing the hair loss?
 
That is my thought. That maybe the Atypical Cushing's is not the only reason for her fur loss. Maybe Thyroid? Maybe DM? I know it is just cosmetic and I can claim she is a Chinese Crested :wink2:, but I feel bad when she shivers and it's 60 degrees outside.
 
I learned a while back that Shelties who test low/normal probably need some thyroid medication. Shelties are different!
 
There is another post about this topic. See Autoimmune Thyroiditis. There is some great info there from Dr. Jean Dodds regarding the Sheltie breed has a higher thyroid requirement then other breeds. Low normal thyroid is treated.
 
I'm pretty sure you can send the test results to Dr.Jean Dodds at Hemopet (there is a fee) and get her opinion. What most people don't realize is that they can ask their vet to send the sample to Hemopet to be tested rather than whatever lab the vet uses.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Back
Top