Treats and potty training

Haha, they are such clever dogs!

I gave my boy treats, after he both pooped and peed outside.

Then he decided to pee, collect a treat, march off to poop, and then collect another treat.

I could have been strict, but decided that his cleverness deserved to be rewarded. Besides, outsmarting me probably made him feel proud. :-) I wouldn't want to take that away from him.

(He never had any accidents in the house.)
 
I guess this is rather old and you're probably past it.

Even though it was only a year and a half ago, I don't especially remember using treats.

We crated from the get go, and that seemed to just sink in.
First several weeks he only was out of his crate when he'd been emptied, and then after a while back in the crate until he had to go again.

I think we only had 3-4 accidents of #1 or #2, and one was when he was young at an exciting Christmas party.

Maybe we just got lucky.
 
Do you take the treat out first THEN take him every hour to pee? That might also cause him to focus more on the treats than on peeing!

I toilet trained Juliet with food rewards too. I will wait for her to finish peeing, then I will go get the treat with her when she's done (happy talk along the way).

When she's doing it reliably I start to add some no-treat rewards (just praise and happy talk) at random times so she never knows when she's gonna get a treat for weeing.
 
Back
Top