Treibball

My club is working on putting together a Treiball class to introduce the sport to the Pittsburgh area.

We're going to give it a try with Edan and CJ when that happens.
 
we have this class offered, I have tried some moves at home, Che loves it. Leo from everything I observed has excellent herding instinct but 2 places that offer herding are couple of hours away from me and cost prohibitive. Presently there is only so much time I can spend on classes and training so we mostly working on behavioral obedience/ agility with Leo and agility/ rally with Che.
I do see treibball in both my pups future though, Che looks completely disinterested in rally and even more in obedience so I see no point in " motivating" him.
 
But balls don't flock, so is it just a matter of getting the dog to nose the ball to a particular area and run around to try and keep them from rolling apart?
 
Triebball

Thanks for sharing this.I never have seen or heard of it.I think my guys would love this.
 
Check out the YouTubes for this fun sport! My dogs do not think it is even close to herding but they do like to nose (and bite) the ball. :)

The AOC will be offering a information workshop this spring to see if there is interest. I myself would like to see a dog soccer team *using noses instead of feet*
 
Check out the YouTubes for this fun sport! My dogs do not think it is even close to herding but they do like to nose (and bite) the ball. :)

We've been training Edan and CJ for about a year now and they love it! In our class we are actually going to start some mock trials so we can try to compete later this year.

If you are teaching them to move the ball around, discourage them from using their feet or teeth since those actions result in time penalties according to the ATA (American Treibball Association) rules. They can move the ball with their noses or other body parts (ex: chest, side of head) without penalty.

My husband took a video of Edan in practice last week. I'll have to get that from him so I can share it with everyone.
 
interesting but I think our facility just about stopped offering those classes, interest never seem picked up and without strong supporters am sure finding trials locally might be huge problem...
our facility is running 20 nose work classes a week though...
 
Our classes are small but we've grown from 1 class with 3-5 dogs, depending on the week, to 3 classes, a beginner, intermediate and advanced.

We drummed up interest for it by doing demos at local dog events such as an annual pet expo and a large fund raiser for one of our local animal shelters we partner with for training. Seeing non-herding dogs as well as herding dogs caught a number of people's interest.
 
But balls don't flock, so is it just a matter of getting the dog to nose the ball to a particular area and run around to try and keep them from rolling apart?

:yuckyuck
It's not that simple, but basically yes. The handler, who must stay near the goal, has to tell the dog, which ball to take. The dog has to know commands for turning left and right, go to start position, wait and move the ball. Most dogs do it with their head and shoulders, so they can see, where they are going - the balls are bigger than the dogs. For many dogs it's not easy to let one ball and go to another and some are pushed up that much, that they bite the balls and the air is floating out the sheeps... :lol:

Quilpie learned it a few years ago (with my mother, so he barked all the time :dead:), but it's nothing for me.
 
Back
Top