Tri color or ?? Puppy coat transition

logan Allphin

Forums Novice
I have a 4.5 month old tri color boy out a blue merle dam and a tri color sire. I have had him for 3.5 weeks and while when I first brought him home he was obviously tri colored...with the exception of the dusty look to his undercoat. But as time has went on his coat becomes more and more grey. In natural light he is very grey! I have never seen this and intended to use him in conformation. (I know that this is a fault) I still think the color is beautiful...just wondered if maybe it is something more? Or possibly just a transition coat? None of my other tris coats have went thru this phase. Thank you!!
 
Is it possible that he is what is called a cryptic merle. I have a two-year old tri boy that is a crytic merle meaning he carries the merle gene. His mother was a sable and his father a blue merle. He has blue "chips" in his eyes and has some lighter fur on his back and sides that is becoming more evident the older he gets. He looked completely tri when he was a puppy. I guess you won't really know what color his fur will be until he is about three-years old and gets his full adult coat.
 
That is really funny, I thought with a sable crossed with blue merle you only get sable and sable merle, not a Tri. I just got a sable merle puppy end of March from this kind of breeding. But I'm certainly not an expert on genetics.
 
That is really funny, I thought with a sable crossed with blue merle you only get sable and sable merle, not a Tri. I just got a sable merle puppy end of March from this kind of breeding. But I'm certainly not an expert on genetics.
so a blue merle is a tri with merle. sables can be pure for sable, tri with sable or bi with sable but sable is dominant so the dog will be a sable. the blue merle could be tri/tri or tri/bi- the merle is separate from base color. so depending on what is there if you bred a bi sable (sable color) to a bi/tri merle (blue merle), you could get every color- sable, tri and bi - and any, all or none of those could get merled.
Cran and Dixie came from a tri/sable father and a tri merle (blue merle) mother so there were sables, tris, one blue merle and one sable merle.
Destin is a bi blue merle so his father was a bi/bi merle and his mother was a bi black- got to get the bi gene from both parents to be a bi..................
 
That is really funny, I thought with a sable crossed with blue merle you only get sable and sable merle, not a Tri. I just got a sable merle puppy end of March from this kind of breeding. But I'm certainly not an expert on genetics.
I think some breeders inject a Tri into a Sable line to get Mahogany Sables. Sca was a Tri but all the other dogs in the kennel were Sables. I think that was part of why he did not recognize himself in the mirror, he thought he was Sable.
 
Back
Top