Trick Challenge #1-March to the Music

labgirl

Forums Sage
So for the first challenge I wanted something simple that looks good and can be developed into more advanced behaviours. Here we go!

MARCHING TO MUSIC

The Trick: Teach your dog to march on the spot or on the move

Basic Version: Your dog lifts alternate paws to give the pretence of marching, you can add music of your own choice.

Advanced:
Get your dog to march with you,
OR
Teach your dog to slow or fast march on cue
OR
If you have two dogs, teach them to march together or on either side of you

Now some ideas for training to get you started, these are based on instructions from Mary Ray, the UK's leading Heelwork to Music expert.

Version 1:
1) Get your dog to paw touch your hand. Teach alternate paws, so the dog will reach out with either on command.
2) Move the trick on so you can stand away from your dog and ask them to lift their paws without having to actually touch your hand.
3) Now with the dog standing ask them to lift their paws alternately. Gradually increase the number of steps the dog has to do before being rewarded.
4) You can now add the cue word or teach your dog to march by following your leg movements.
NOTE: This will teach the dog to march on the spot in front of you.

Version 2: I saw Mary Ray do this at Crufts
1) Teach your dog to follow a target stick or something similar.
2) Notice that when the target stick is at head level the dog walks normally, but if you raise it above their head they will automatically lift their front feet in a march to keep up.
NOTE: Your dog will march beside you, but will have to follow a target stick. This is a common method in HTM.

Right, I hope that gives you an idea how to start. I am planning to try and shape the behaviour as I promised myself I would improve my clicker skills! And I am now off to agility with Merlin so you guys get a head start! Argh!

You've got until the end of May and then I will set up a 'RESULTS' thread in the Fuzzy Photos section.
 
Yippee that's a trick I have never tried to train. Um who should I start with? Birch and Justice, I think. Justice might have to learn the clicker.:wink2:

I have a busy day so I doubt you will have a head start Sophie.
 
This would be piaffe and passage with horses :)
http://youtu.be/84PhzureNa4
http://youtu.be/sqaQ6SnqAtI
I bet there are a lot of things that could be fairly closely duplicated, from 'highschool' type training and dressage with dogs. It could make for a pretty impressive routine. Spanish Walk could probably be managed as well.
and here is dog doing it... it looks awesome!
http://youtu.be/Jrmv6rBx_vE
Of course, to look most impressive, it helps to have a dog with a high stepping gait... some of the companion breeds would probably be able to produce the flashiest gait doing those... though with Athena and her incorrect front, I could probably get her to step pretty high :P
 
Last edited:
:biggrin2: Sounds good and thanks for the training tips too. I've always liked how this looks when I've seen it done (I also LOVE freestyle dressage to music - have tickets for it at the Olympics!:wink2:) .

I think I'll try first with Yogi as poor Epic has a poorly tum and an excess of training treats might not help.:razz:
 
Can't watch video clips now, will do tomorrow. Che has beginnings of this behavior, we really never trained it as a trick just something that came on the side when we were waiting for our obedience turn/ can't run at obedience ring- horrors:ick/
Anyway if I am lucky I will ask my friend to tape us tomorrow and try posting it. I will post our progression.
I would not use target or target stick for front feet, I would use it for back feet.
1. front feet we did "shake" first, alternate feet, me kneeling in front and putting my hand to touch, alternating hand for each foot.
2. Teaching " high five" , me in same position but raising my hand higher and clicking for foot movement without touching my hand, eventually selecting higher and higher foot motion
3. Continue " high five" but with me standing in front of the pup
4. Adding leg movement BEFORE hand movement for "high five"
5. No hand movement just leg movement as a cue to high five behavior. That is where we are now except we added me being on the side. That could be done with target stick I just touch Che's sides.
I have no verbal cues for this behavior as it is pretty raw. I NEVER add cue until I LOVE the behavior.
 
If you watch how they teach piaffe and passage from the ground on youtube, it is with a crop touching the back leg. I bet it does work the same teaching a dog, like you said.
 
My husband and I were in hysterics trying to teach Ellie to "shake." She clearly does not get it and was absoultely beside herself because she KNOWS I have food and she can't concentrate. :lol: :lol: She offered me her entire repertoire of tricks desperately trying to figure out how to get the food as quickly as possible. We only have until the end of May you say? LOLOLOLOLOL! :gaah
 
My husband and I were in hysterics trying to teach Ellie to "shake." She clearly does not get it and was absoultely beside herself because she KNOWS I have food and she can't concentrate. :lol: :lol: She offered me her entire repertoire of tricks desperately trying to figure out how to get the food as quickly as possible. We only have until the end of May you say? LOLOLOLOLOL! :gaah

Are you luring with food? Can you set food aside, visibly but several feet away and ask for behavior? and keep moving away as far as it takes for her to " get her brains back?"
 
Are you luring with food? Can you set food aside, visibly but several feet away and ask for behavior? and keep moving away as far as it takes for her to " get her brains back?"

That's a good suggestion, but how would I reward her if she does it right? It has never worked for us giving her verbal praise. She doesn't care about that. She works for FOOD.
 
Back
Top