Trimming Leg Feathers and Hocks

Good info. I will definately use it. Rasha has extremely long hock hair all the way around. I wasn't sure how to trim it up! With 3 dogs it's too expensive to take them to the groomer!
 
My rescue director gifted me with a fully illustrated book on how to groom a sheltie. I just Love that book. It's called The illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming by Barb Ross ISBN 0-931866-60-X. I don't know what it costs on E-bay or Amazon because it was a gift but it's just the best thing I've ever run across to explain how to and show precise pictures on grooming the dogs. I've been practicing on the fosters and it's so easy to follow that I feel comfortable about clipping the ears, hocks and feathers on my own dogs and they look like a million bucks!!
 
My rescue director gifted me with a fully illustrated book on how to groom a sheltie. I just Love that book. It's called The illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming by Barb Ross ISBN 0-931866-60-X. I don't know what it costs on E-bay or Amazon because it was a gift but it's just the best thing I've ever run across to explain how to and show precise pictures on grooming the dogs. I've been practicing on the fosters and it's so easy to follow that I feel comfortable about clipping the ears, hocks and feathers on my own dogs and they look like a million bucks!!

Thanks Sunchaser, I'll have to look into that! I need all of the help I can get! I'm still thinking of trying to talk a groomer into showing me how to trim feet :smile2:
 
I use the guides in Sheltie Talk.

Also, I've NEVER used a clipper on my shelties. Everything is done with scissors...and I much prefer the look. Just my opinion, though.
 
As I stated in the Ear Trimming thread, the methods that I use and have detailed for the benefit of others are only a select number of ways in which you can trim a Sheltie. I have also detailed in the ear entry on my blog that I do not claim that this is the ONLY way to trim or even the BEST way to trim. It is a quick, easy, and cheap way to achieve a nice look that any Sheltie owner can use. All of the methods I have described (feet, hocks, feathers, and ears) were taught to me by someone that grooms for show. Through trial and error, there are some areas that I have adapted for my own convenience.

If the techniques I have described appear substandard in the eyes of some, I regretfully say that I cannot apologize. To those that are looking for tips for grooming your beloved Shelties at home without investing in greatly overpriced grooming supplies, I hope I have been of some assistance.
 
GeeRome

Thank you so much for your grooming techniques! I think we need a separate forum or blog :smile2:just for you!

With my old pup, I had a wonderful groomer who knew how to groom a Sheltie.

Then I moved....and I tried at leat 5 different groomers, and I never found a single one that knew how to trim feet, ears, hocks, bum.

I'm now getting to the point that that I will take on all grooming for Bacca (19 weeks) myself and not leave it the groomers anymore.

Can you also provide a tutorial on ear trimming? I snip away with scissors and can often get it almost ok, but a little shaggy lately.

Also, if there is a general purpose electric trimmer that you suggest for hocks, ears and anywhere else (e.g. bums), I would love to know the make and model you use.

Cheers!
 
As I stated in the Ear Trimming thread, the methods that I use and have detailed for the benefit of others are only a select number of ways in which you can trim a Sheltie. I have also detailed in the ear entry on my blog that I do not claim that this is the ONLY way to trim or even the BEST way to trim. It is a quick, easy, and cheap way to achieve a nice look that any Sheltie owner can use. All of the methods I have described (feet, hocks, feathers, and ears) were taught to me by someone that grooms for show. Through trial and error, there are some areas that I have adapted for my own convenience.

If the techniques I have described appear substandard in the eyes of some, I regretfully say that I cannot apologize. To those that are looking for tips for grooming your beloved Shelties at home without investing in greatly overpriced grooming supplies, I hope I have been of some assistance.

I never said they were substandard. I just stated that I don't use clippers (I never have, and I don't even know how to work them!) You and others on this forum are getting so high and mighty...I'm done.

GeeRome

Thank you so much for your grooming techniques! I think we need a separate forum or blog :smile2:just for you!

With my old pup, I had a wonderful groomer who knew how to groom a Sheltie.

Then I moved....and I tried at leat 5 different groomers, and I never found a single one that knew how to trim feet, ears, hocks, bum.

I'm now getting to the point that that I will take on all grooming for Bacca (19 weeks) myself and not leave it the groomers anymore.

Can you also provide a tutorial on ear trimming? I snip away with scissors and can often get it almost ok, but a little shaggy lately.

Also, if there is a general purpose electric trimmer that you suggest for hocks, ears and anywhere else (e.g. bums), I would love to know the make and model you use.

Cheers!
 
Back
Top