UltraSound showed growth in head of bladder

sanemb

Forums Regular
Jasmine our 10 1/2 year old, had an ultrasound yesterday. She's been having blood in her urine, without an infection. They found a mass in the head of the bladder. Not sure how big it is as the final report isn't back. But they said it has characteristics of cancer, but also of a polyp. So we don't know which it is. They did say it's in a location it would be easy to remove it. Our vet is getting ahold of a doctor who specializes in surgery as our vets have never removed a growth from the bladder. Anybody been through this with their fur babies? I know that usually if it's cancer it is at the neck of the bladder and they can't operate. Just want to do what's best for our baby. They haven't done a VBTA bladder tumor antigen test. In fact our vet has never heard of one. But, with some blood in her urine anyways, I don't know if we'd get a correct reading. She has no symptoms and acts fine except for some blood in her urine. If it is cancer, even though they say they can remove it, will it come right back. So worried and not sure what is the right thing for our baby.
 
I hope the final dx for Jasmine will not be cancer (TTC).

Surgery can be done even with TCC, depending on the location of the tumor. Unfortunately this is a very aggressive cancer and almost always returns even with surgery. I do know of a sheltie owner who had surgery done twice on her little female sheltie, once to remove the initial tumor and a second surgery a year later to remove the tumor regrowth. They extended their sheltie's life for about 2 years with the 2 surgeries.

The decision to operate or not to operate is a personal one and only you can decide what you feel is best for your little one. We lost a wonderful 8 year old sheltie to TCC, but we never had to face a decision on surgery since his tumor was not located in the area where surgery was possible.

Sending my very best wishes to you and Jasmine.

Trini
 
The size of her growth is about 1/2" x 3/4". We're just very hopeful that it's just a polyp, but no way to tell without a biopsy. We take her in a for a consult on Monday, to see what the other vet thinks.
 
Bladder cancer

Six months ago I lost my Sheltie to TCC. He had blood in his urine too. Since there were very little cancer cells in his blood and/or urine they operated to see the bladder. Two days after the surgery where they cut him (2 inches next to his penis) a tumor protruded through the skin. He had to be put down six months later, the tumor was pushing on his penis and he could no longer pee. It was a devastating six months to say the least. We had to take day by day and knew he would be gone soon. I am so sorry for your baby and I sure hope it is not bladder cancer. We did the whole chemo thing and spent thousands of dollars that we did not have, but we did it anyway. My husband and I said we would never do that again because if you read up on this disease they tell you exactly how long a dog lives with bladder cancer. I really think if they did not operate I would still have him. I will pray for your baby and hope it is just a polyp. I could cry just thinking about you and you baby. I am truly sorry. You can read my threads on the whole ordeal. I am still crying. Kind regards, Amelia
 
The size of her growth is about 1/2" x 3/4". We're just very hopeful that it's just a polyp, but no way to tell without a biopsy. We take her in a for a consult on Monday, to see what the other vet thinks.

Was the other vet consult today able to give you a better feeling for what the best course of action is for your little Jasmine?

Sending good thoughts.....Trini
 
Jasmine's surgery

Jasmine had bladder surgery on this past Wednesday. They sent it out for pathology. Back in a week or so. It was in the upper part of the bladder and on a thin stalk. It was an easy removal. She is recouping fine, except she is leaking urine when she lays down. She has had the problem for a year or so. But we've been able to control it with natural medicines, leaks no more and vetri science bladder strength. The vet said that it's not uncommon to leak for 3 to 5 days after surgery. Paws crossed. She can not take PPA, as it made her excessively thirsty. But, the main thing at this point, is praying that it was just a harmless polyp.
 
Results from surgery

I haven't seen an update on your girl's surgery and what the biopsy came back as. I am hoping for good news from you and am still praying for your girl to be 100% cured. Warm regards and prayers to you and your girl. Amelia
 
Back
Top